Chapter Eleven

The next day Sam picked me up early in the morning, we were driving to Texas. I wanted to drive and do a road trip. Even though I was cleared to fly, I felt it was safer to just drive. Sam and I had to leave a day early to make sure we got to Texas in time. It was a 20 hour drive, which gave us plenty of time to get to Texas and sleep before his graduation. Of course, Sam never let me drive. He wanted me to be able to rest in case I got tired.

"I still think it's a boy. I get boy energy coming from you." He said when we were almost halfway done with our trip. He was drinking another coffee with an espresso shot. I had napped twice.

"I had dreams it was a girl. Although in the one dream I had a son and a daughter, so I guess that's not very clear. I just have a strong feeling, but who knows. I'll be happy with either. I just want them to stay healthy." I said, running my hand over my belly. I had a small bump, but it just looked like I ate too much. It had been getting hard to hide my weight gain. Everyone kept mentioning how something seemed different about me, they just couldn't place it.

"I'm excited to find out. I am more excited for Justin. He's gonna be so happy. Then we can all start buying stuff for the little cutie." He said looking over at me yawning.

"Sam, just let me drive. You can take a nap. I think I can handle driving for a few hours."

"No, I'm fine. I want to get us there in time. Might just need a few energy drinks to get me the rest of the way." He said finishing the coffee we'd gotten half an hour earlier.

After another ten hours we were in Texas. It was nearly midnight and Justin's graduation was the next day. Justin had gotten us passes to get into the hotel on base, so he would be able to spend more time with us. I guess they were only allowed off base one of the three days, but if family was staying at the hotel on base they were allowed to hang out there. Sam and I got room next to each other. Sam helped me to my room and left my bags on the couch.

"So, I guess I'll see you tomorrow. I'll call you. Let me know if you need anything. Okay?" He said, looking at me. He was always giving me this weird look ever since he found out I was pregnant. He'd hold my gaze a little longer, and he was smiling at me more.

"Okay. Thank you, Sam. Really. I don't know what I'd do without you. I'm really happy we're close again." I said hugging him. Then he left to go to his room. I changed into my pajamas and got ready for bed. I hung up the dress I had bought for his graduation. He had two different ceremonies. One tomorrow was more casual and the last one was where they wore their dress blues. I brought maternity shorts and the shirts he had me order for his flight. Since I had napped throughout the trip, I wasn't as tired as Sam. I pulled out my computer and laid in the bed. I was excited to tell Justin about our baby. Ever since I started showing, I found myself running my hands over my belly a lot. I had to stop myself whenever I was around Michelle or anyone else. She kept bugging me about what was going on, but I just kept telling her I was excited to see Justin. I turned on some movies and watched them until I eventually drifted off to sleep.

My phone alarm going off the next morning woke me up. I had fallen asleep on my computer so I had the keys imprinted into my cheek. I started the shower and pulled out all my clothes and my make up bag. I got ready as fast as I could. I was suddenly nervous about seeing Justin. Would he be happy about the baby? Would he be mad? I kept assuring myself that he was going to be happy. After graduation, Justin was shipping to his technical training, where he would have his phone so we could talk more. Then he would be able to get updates faster about our baby. I put on my makeup and brushed my teeth. I heard a knock on my door, when I opened it Sam walked in.

"I grabbed some coffee and breakfast for you. Are you hungry?" He asked walking in and sitting on the couch. "Oh, goodmorning!"

"Good Morning. Thank you for the food. I am starving. I'm a nervous wreck." I said, grabbing the muffin he brought and stuffing it in my mouth. Taking my prenatals was easier when I had food in my system. Once I finished the muffin and apple Sam grabbed, I took my prenatals and drank the coffee he brought me. He was very strict on me only having one cup of coffee a day. He was always pushing water on me.

"I'm sure Justin is super excited to see you. I figured if we leave early enough we could get good seats for all the presentations before the ceremony." There were two presentations before they allowed people to take their seats for the ceremony. Then families were able to "tap out" their loved ones in the ceremony. Once they were tapped out, they were allowed to hang out around the base. Sam had insisted that I tap out Justin both days and he would videotape it for us to have to show everyone.

The presentations and ceremony went by fast. Once they released everyone to tap out their airmen, I had to hold myself back from sprinting to find Justin. After ten minutes I found Justin and ran to him. I hugged him and he immediately squeezed me, lifting me off the ground. Once I was back on the ground, I pulled back and kissed him. He had tears in his eyes. He kissed me back hard. He looked up and saw Sam. I moved back so Sam could hug him and congratulate him. Justin turned back to me and smiled.

"I missed you so much, Katie." He said, pulling me back into a hug. I smiled into his chest.

"We missed you, too." I said, trying to drop hints. He pulled away and looked from Sam to me. I placed my hands on my belly, trying to get him to see the little bump. When he finally looked at my belly and back at my face, he had more tears.

"Are you? Really?" He pulled me in for another hug, burying his face in my shoulder. When he pulled away and placed his hands on my belly. Then he looked at me with a smile on his face.

"I found out a few weeks after you left for basic. I'm 14 weeks and two days today. I have pictures back at the hotel for you." I couldn't stop smiling.

"Is it a boy or girl?" He asked, you could tell he was having a hard time keeping his excitement at ease.

"I have an envelope at the hotel with the gender. I didn't want to find out without you. Sam and I kept this a secret from everyone until you knew. I wanted you to focus on your training. This baby is very healthy. Sam makes sure I take all my vitamins and drink plenty of water everyday." I said looking at Sam. He blushed and just ran his hand through his hair.

"I am so happy, Katie. And Sam, thank you for taking good care of her. I knew I could count on you." He said, clapping his hand on Sam's shoulder. "Let's head to the hotel. I need a shower and some food." He said starting for the hotel. I started following him then looked back at Sam.

"You guys go, I'm going to explore and get some food. I'll meet up with you later." He said turning towards the main building. I frowned, then caught up with Justin.