Chapter Fourteen

A few weeks until my due date, Justin was moving to his first duty station. He was extremely lucky and was able to get orders to the base close to where my parents lived. The only downside to him getting that base, was that after his paternity leave he was being deployed overseas for a year. I had to look on the bright side and be happy that he was close again and once the baby came he would be able to stay with me to get to know his son.

The last month of my pregnancy was the worst. My feet had started swelling and I could barely walk with how big my belly had gotten. That didn't stop Justin or Sam from getting me to go walking with them. My mom was always around waiting for me to go into labor. When I did eventually go into labor, Sam was the only one around.

Sam had dragged me along for a walk during the sunset. Sunsets were always my favorite, so he tried taking me walking around that time to help keep my mind off the fear of birth, even for a few minutes. We were walking, or he was walking, I was waddling and suddenly I felt water leaking from me.

"Sam... I think my water just broke." I said stopping. You could see the liquid making my pants wet all down the front. He looked at me in horror for a few seconds. Then he was in panic mode.

"Okay, you stay here I'll get the car. Call your mom to bring the hospital bag and call Justin so he can get to the hospital. Remember your breathing. I'll be right back." He said sprinting off to where he had parked the car. I started taking deep breaths like I had learned in my classes. I pulled out my phone and called my mom. She answered on the first ring.

"Mom, I need you to get my hospital bag and meet me at the hospital. My water broke and Sam is taking me to the hospital. I'll see you there." I said, I hung up before she had the chance to answer. Then I was dialing Justin's number. When he didn't answer, I called his work phone number. When someone answered I asked for Justin.

"Justin, my water broke. I need you to meet me at the hospital. Sam is taking me and my mom is meeting me there. I'm sure your mom will be there too." I said babbling.

"Okay, don't forget to breath. I'm leaving now, I'll see you soon. I love you." He said hanging up. Sam was pulling in front of me. I was still trying to breath as I got in his car. He drove as fast as he could legally to the hospital. He walked me up to triage where my mom was waiting with my hospital bag. I told the person at the desk that my water had broken and she directed the three of us to a room. I didn't even care to correct the nurse that Sam wasn't the father. I just wanted this to be over and to be holding my baby boy. When I was shown to a room she told me to strip down and put the gown on. I did as I was told and laid on the bed waiting for a doctor to come in and check me. I was definitely having contractions at that point. Sam and my mom kept holding my hand reminding me to breathe. When the doctor finally came in, she checked me and told me that I was at an 8, but close to a 9. I was rushed to a delivery room with Sam and my mom in tow. Sam was on the phone with Justin updating him. The doctor told me it was too late for me to get any pain medication, which at that point I didn't care. I just wanted him out. I couldn't focus on anything going on around me, I could only focus on the sudden urge to push. The contractions only made the urge even worse. Once I was in my delivery room and a nurse came in to check again, the doctor was immediately called in. They said I was ready to push. They had me do a few practice pushes and then I was pushing for real. After pushing for half an hour, my baby boy was being placed on my chest. Once I saw him, tears started pouring down my face.

"Hi my sweet boy. It's okay. I love you." I told him while he cried. I looked over at my mom who was crying and Sam was crying. Sam wiped the sweat from my forehead and placed a cool cloth on my head. Once the nurses took the baby for all his tests, I think I fell asleep.

When I woke up I was in a recovery room and Justin was holding our son. I shifted slightly and saw him sitting in the chair next to the hospital bed, rocking the baby and humming to him. I felt tears prick my eyes. It was so amazing seeing him with our son. When he saw me, he came to sit next to me.

"You did amazing, Katie. He's perfect." He said putting his arm around me and placing the baby in my arms. I looked at our son and my heart was suddenly full. He was a perfect baby. "Now we just need to decide on a name for this little guy." He said kissing my cheek.

"How about Aiden. Aiden Anthony." I said smiling at my son. He was sleeping and peaceful.

"Aiden is perfect." He said, looking at him with a smile. "I'm sorry I wasn't here for the delivery. I got here as fast as I could. Sam and your mom said it all went so fast." He looked at me and seemed sad.

"It's okay. You're here now, that's all that matters." I said yawning. I was so tired all of a sudden.

"Babe, go to sleep. I have Aiden and there are plenty of people here who will make sure he's taken care of. You get some rest. I love you, you really did amazing." He said kissing my lips.

"I love you."