Chapter Thirteen

"Are you serious? You're pregnant?!" Kelly and my mother said at the same time. Two days later, after resting and recovering from the trip I broke the news to both families and Michelle. They both looked at my belly, which seemed to be growing everyday. I pulled out the pictures from my purse and showed them.

"He's due in March next year." I said as they grabbed the photos from me. They both started fanning their eyes simultaneously. I felt myself tearing up as well. I was expecting everyone to freak out on me about how irresponsible I was. Michelle nearly squeezed the baby out of me when I told her. She couldn't wait to spoil the baby.

"Oh my goodness. We're going to be grandma's! There is so much we need to buy and prepare for. You're lucky we love shopping for babies!" Justin's mom said, pulling me into a hug. My mom came over and hugged me at the same time. "This is great news. We'll need to start planning a baby shower. We can have a nursery here and at your place, Jess." They both pulled away and immediately started planning. I figured they'd tell their husbands. I went and sat down on our living room couch. My mom was suddenly there with her hand on my belly.

"Sweetie, you're going to be an amazing mother. Justin will be an amazing father. This will be one lucky little guy. I want you to know that you don't need to worry about anything. There are enough of us around to help you out." She said hugging me and kissing my head.

"Thank you, mom. I know it's not really ideal. Neither of us were planning for this." I told her.

"The best things in life never are planned, Katie. These things come out of nowhere when you least expect them. It'll all work out though, don't you worry." She said going into the kitchen with Kelly.

When I texted Justin about everyone's reaction he was happy. He knew they'd all be excited for the little baby. Once he was settled at his tech school, he had sent flowers to my house. Even far away he still knew how to make me blush. Sam still took me to all my appointments, sometimes my mom came along as well. She was allowed in the room during my appointments though, which eased a lot of my anxiety. She always held my hand and took videos for Justin. My dad was even excited about his grandson. It was amazing what a baby could do. I had thought they'd all yell at me and read me the riot act about being responsible, instead they surprised me. They came together as a family, preparing for the baby.

Preparing for a baby was a lot more work than I was expecting it to be. It was harder preparing for a baby by yourself. There were a lot of decisions I had to make on my own without Justin. Our parents helped out as much as they could. No one could be Justin for me though. Sam had tried to be there for me in any way that he could. I was thankful that Sam still chose to help me out. My brother and his girlfriend even took time off to come visit me.

One weekend Lisa and Alex were over helping me paint the nursery. No one wanted me to touch the paint or even be around the paint, so I was forced to sit in the hallway while they painted. I made them open all the windows throughout the hallway to help air out the smell. Justin had told me to choose the color and theme of the nursery. I wasn't planning on the baby sleeping in here for a while, I wanted him in the bedroom with me. I had chosen a basic baby blue color, and the theme was airplanes. We were going to hang little airplanes throughout the room and find airplane themed signs to hang around.

"I still can't believe that you'll be a mom soon. I always thought I'd be the first one to have a family." Alex said while getting more paint on his paint roller.

"Well I wasn't exactly planning this little guy. Justin and I hadn't planned on any of this until I was done with college. Life had other plans though, obviously." I said running my hands over my now protruding belly. I was only a few months from my due date, so none of my normal clothes fit me and I was beginning to look like a whale.

"Katie, you and Justin will be amazing parents. Your baby will be one very lucky boy. He has a huge family filled with people who love him more than anything else in the world." Lisa said smiling at me. She had been one of the many women in the family to help me shop for the baby and take me to appointments.

"Thank you. I love this little guy so much already and I haven't even met him yet. I just hope that Justin will be here for the birth. But who knows with the military." I said closing my eyes and making a silent wish. After Lisa and Alex finished painting they took me out for dinner, then a walk on the beach.