Chapter Ten

After going to the doctor a week later, it was confirmed that I was in fact pregnant. Five weeks until Justin's basic graduation. The doctor told me that I was 9 weeks pregnant. They did an ultrasound to confirm a due date, sometime in March, and see that the baby was there. The doctor gave me a prescription for prenatal vitamins and something to help with nausea. The nausea was getting worse for me no matter what I did. It was going to be very hard to hide the pregnancy from everyone when I could barely stand without throwing up. I asked the doctor if there was any way to find out the gender before Justin's graduation. She had told me she'd try her best to find out the gender before then. Usually they couldn't see in an ultrasound until 20 weeks, but she said there were blood tests that could be done after 12 weeks. Sam had taken me to the doctors appointment. I brought out the ultrasound pictures to show him. He smiled and hugged me.

"Aww look how tiny! Congratulations. I know it's not exactly ideal or planned but Justin will be happy. He'll freak when he finds out that he's going to be dad." Once Sam snapped out of his initial shock and realized he was the only person there for me until the graduation, he was happier and extremely excited. He looked up all kinds of information on pregnancy, specifically what to expect every week. He had started texting me every morning making sure I ate breakfast and took my vitamins. He assured me every day that he was keeping it to himself. We both continued to write to Justin like normal. If I was too sick to get Justin's letter out on time, Sam made sure to stop over to take my letters. I made sure to keep them up beat. If anyone around us had caught on to anything they weren't hinting at anything. Besides the nausea, there were no other symptoms I'd experienced. I kept all my ultrasounds pictures hidden under my mattress. I pulled them out everyday to look at them. After seeing the baby on the ultrasound I fell in love. It took everything in me not to tell Justin in a letter. He said he wanted a family, and while this wasn't exactly what we planned I knew he'd be happy. After graduation I would be able to tell our parents, they might not be super happy. I worried about how they'd all react.

Sam was always by my side if he was able to be. He had gotten a summer job at some lawyers office, he was going to school to be a lawyer so the experience was something he was very excited for. After Justin left, Sam and I became close again. He had become very concerned with the baby. If he wasn't working he was either constantly texting me or with me. He wasn't Justin, but it was great having my best friend back. Sam had bought his tickets for Justin's graduation. Sam and Justin must have planned everything because I had gotten a letter from Justin saying not to worry about the details of my trip. Then during our first phone call, he assured that everything was taken care of. I'd be traveling with Sam. I just needed to bring myself. During the first phone call, it took everything in me not to tell him the news. I just told him I was having fun working for his mom and that she missed him a ton. I reminded him how much I loved him and that I couldn't wait to see him.

When I finally entered the second trimester at 13 weeks, I only had another week until Justin's graduation. I had a doctors appointment the day I was 14 weeks pregnant, which was the day before Sam and I left for Justin's graduation. I was extremely nervous for this appointment. I had done the blood test two weeks earlier but today they were doing an ultrasound to see if they could tell the gender and get pictures. I was going to double check that I was still clear to travel as well. No matter how many times I explained to the ladies at the doctors office, they still called Sam my boyfriend. Sam drove me to every appointment, and he was extremely happy doing so. There was no wonder why everyone assumed he was the father of the baby. I made sure that the doctors kept the gender a secret. They put in an envelope that I planned to open with Justin. I pushed off buying anything for the baby until Justin knew and I told our parents. I cried at my 14 week ultrasound. They were happy tears. I loved seeing the baby, I was sad Justin couldn't experience it with me. When the doctors checked the gender, I made sure to look away. I had my guesses of the gender, I had many dreams it was a girl. Sam was positive that it was a boy. Only a few more days until we all found out. After they finished the ultrasound they handed me the envelope with the pictures and the gender in it. They confirmed that I was able to travel and they wished me luck on my trip.