Don't look back

Liana's POV

We run and don't look back. The fear has taken over now and I don't know what will happen if they catch up to us.

"This way Em!" I say crossing behind her, going up a big hill. I know it's harder to run up a hill but I feel in my gut it'll be our best bet to go over this hill. It's getting dark but we still have good light.

"We have to find someone. We need to call the cops." Emily whispers in fear. Over the hill is a busy four lane street. I haven't lived in this town long enough but I know we are on the other side of the woods which means we are in the next town over. As soon as both sides were open, we run as fast as we could. Neither of us know where the boys are but I could breathe a little more once we fully crossed over. Once we go far enough from the road, we hide behind an old building to catch our breath for a second.

"Here, let me get that off." I take my keys and cut Emily's hands free.

"Em, I am so so sorry" she cuts me off.

"Don't. Do not blame yourself for something someone else did. He's sick Liana! All you're doing is trying to live your life! He is doing this! Not you." She's pissed but sympathetic.

Maybe I should stop blaming myself for what he does. She has so many valid points. I don't want to stay in one spot for long, so we head to the left to hopefully throw the, off our trail.

"He got me as I was leaving the comic book store. It was so early, and barely anyone around. All day he kept talking about you and how he knew you would find us. He said so many things that made me hurt for you. I know why you left and why you don't talk about it. I'm here for you." She says as we're both looking forward.

It's still hard for me to talk about so all I can say at the moment is thank you.

At this point, it's dark. We're walking on backroads, jumping every time we hear a sound. In the distance, we see stores with people and technology we can use to get out of here. We decide to run the entire way to a small store that is attached to a gas station. We go in, trying to be calm. A few people are in the store and no one is paying attention to us. A small flat screen is in the top corner of the ceiling and the cashier is behind the desk cleaning off the counter.

"Excuse me." I say softly with Emily standing behind me.

"We really nee-" I get cut off by someone yelling outside.

"Did you find them?" I hear and instantly drop to the ground, pulling Emily with me.

It's Theo yelling at Keenan. I knew there was a chance he was still close by. Em and I crawl to the farthest wall away from the door. The boys are still talking outside and I begin to panic.

"What's going on?" The cashier is focused on us but not too intensely, just so it won't draw them inside.

Before either of us could say anything, Emily's picture flashes across the tv screen, then mine. Emily points and that's when it clicks for the cashier.

"Oh my! Liana and Emily." She whispered. Some other customers catch on and they all realize that our abusers and kidnappers were outside.

"Girls, behind the counter, now!" She now has a firm voice.

We crawl behind the counter and I realize All four boys came in the store right after. She was protecting us. They walk in and go straight to the back. She hands us a paper that tells us that one of the customers is calling the cops and to stay as quiet as possible. Emily has markings on her wrists and she physically looked exhausted. Swollen eyes, her hair had leaves in it and I doubt she had eaten anything.

Not even five minutes later I hear sirens. We both sigh in relief, hoping that they don't try and run. I hear footsteps rushing to the door but they come to a sudden stop.

"You guys are not going anywhere." I almost cry because this may actually be the end. I don't let myself think this for too long because he got out once already.

Our journey running from Theo and his puppets finally came to an end when they were arrested. Emily and I were met by Officer Avery and driven to the hospital by him to meet our parents.

My nerves didn't go away just yet.