Rescue driver

March 31

"Jess, wake up! Kaden's downstairs waiting for you." The sound Jackson's voice makes me shiver.

"What time is it?" I groan.

"Almost three."

I can't believe I slept that long but I think about how crappy I feel. I slowly collect myself and head downstairs. Liana is standing at the door with my keys in her hands.

"Sleeping beauty has arrived." She jokes as I get closer.

I don't have the energy to make a comeback. I'm surprised she's even cracking jokes, she hasn't been the joking type since getting here.

''You ready to go?"

"Uh, yeah. I didn't really bring anything so, lets go." I say goodbye to everyone who's left at the party.

Liana starts up the car while she waits for me to get in the passenger seat. It's weird being on the other side in my own car and seeing Liana drive has me a little uneasy.

"Stop looking so worried, I am a good driver, believe it or not." I guess she sees the look on my face as we're stopped at the red light.

"My mom was so hesitant to let me start driving again but my dad helped convince her that I truly am okay now." She's staring out the window.

"Is your mom picking you up from my house?"

"No. Elly is actually picking me up and taking me back to her house. She was pretty surprised when I told her about you. She said you weren't the drinking type." Giggles fill the car.

"I'm not. It was just one night and now I'm remembering all the reasons why I don't drink to begin with. However, I did have fun with my friends which was most important to me."

"How have you been feeling." I change the subject to her.

"I'm gaining my energy back. My mom changed our diet completely so nothing but healthy foods. I stretch everyday and I'm even gonna start yoga soon. I'm definitely better than I was two months ago so that's a relief. Which way do I turn?"

"Make a left." She puts on the turn signal. "It's good how on top of this your parents are. Taking action and not staying in the shadows when it comes to Theo."

She sighs.

"Yeah, I am truly grateful for them. They've put up with Theo and I and all of this b.s for years now. I wish it wouldn't have gotten this far, actually I wish I never would of went to silverleaf in the first place. Everything happens for a reason right?" Her voice is different now.

We get to my block, Ellia is waiting in front of my house so Liana pulls into the driveway.

"It wasn't you your parents had to put up with all of those years, it was him. You know it, your parents know it, and so do all of us. Never blame yourself, ever." I had to say that to her before getting out of the car.

We both get out to talk to Ellia. Liana hands me my keys while walking towards the curb.

"Mr. drinker?" Ellia starts.

I shake my head. She'll probably never let me live this down. Usually when any of us does something out of the normal, we always hear about it but her pregnancy is not to be joked about, even Jordi knows that.

"What are you guys doing today?" I change the subject.

"Probably shopping until we get tired and by we, I mean me and the little..." She looks at Liana.

"Nugget." Liana laughs.

"Is it officially your nugget, or will you be giving away the little chicken?" I join in.

"It's a nugget, not a chicken and I'm keeping it. I'll keep working at my job for as long as I can and I'll take it easy when I turn eighteen in a few weeks. It's actually harder to keep track of what's coming up nowadays." Elly looks to the ground.

"You'll be fine. I know your dad and grandma will be disappointed and upset at first but you know they'll never abandon you." I want to cheer her up. I don't agree with her being a parent this young but it's happening and all I can do is be there now.

"Thanks. Well we'll let you sober up while we shop. I'll text you later."

The rest of my day consists of laying down and trying not to throw up. My parents are pretty good about staying out of my room so I'm good for the rest of the night.

It's funny how Liana was there when I didn't even know I needed her. I guess everything does happen for a reason.