What's done is done

January 25

I've woken up three times throughout the night. My body aches, it even hurts to cry and I've done a lot of that so far. Mom and dad were asleep in the chairs next to my hospital bed every time I've opened my eyes. It's now six a.m and mom is already up too. She greets me with a kiss on my forehead while trying not to look directly into my eyes.

"Your dad stepped out to talk to the lawyer, he'll be back really soon."

I attempt to nod.

"How are you feeling?" She looks broken.

I take a deep breath. "I'm hurting everywhere."

"I know, baby." She whispers.

"What happened?"

Mom clears her throat and lowers her head. "You were tackled by a football player yesterday. He was in his full uniform and you obviously didn't have any gear on. You blacked out almost instantly after you were hit."

Unbelievable.

Theo tackled me like I was a football player. I am not completely surprised, something's not right with him.

"Tackled by Theo, I assume. Did you know that? Silverleaf had a scrimmage against the school yesterday." My talking is somewhat normal but the sides of my stomach are killing me.

"I know, the school told us everything. He is in custody right now and we are pressing charges. Sweetie, this has gone on long enough. He is not okay, and now you aren't either."

I've never seen my mom on the brink of crying and I never want to see that ever again. She holds my hand which makes me look down. My arm is all bruised up, I've never gotten bruised before so this is new for me. My hips feel like they've been destroyed, as does the rest of me. Theo came at me from the side and I fell even harder on the other side of me.

"Hey, she's awake." The doctor comes in and turns on all of the lights, dad is right behind him. "We're going to get you up and walking soon, I'll have a nurse come in and stretch you first. You've been in that bed ever since yesterday afternoon."

Not even a full week here and I'm already out of school for who knows how long. Getting up was the worst, and of course, I cried while walking around the hallways. I usually don't show my emotions so easily but I have never experienced pain like this before.

January 26

Day two in the hospital and it hasn't gotten easier. I suggested that mom and dad take shifts while one goes home and shower or nap while the other stays with me but they both refused. Flowers were being sent to the hospital for me. Apparently, my grandma is on the first flight out of Maine to come to see me. I received a get well soon teddy bear from Jesse which really got my heart racing. They've tried to come by a few times but I can't have any visitors who aren't family right now. Life in the hospital is truly boring but it looks like I might be here for the rest of this week and maybe some of next week. The doctor confirmed I don't have a concussion, thank god, he does want to keep a close eye on me though.

February 1

We get home and I have never been happier to see this place in my life. Our home is still kind of empty but the house looks even more beautiful now. Mom holds my hand every step of the way into the house. I am definitely being treated like I am fragile, I can see the worry on my parents' faces.  I have gotten a lot better in the hospital. I'm walking without holding on to something. A lot of my pain has gone from a ten to a four. I'm allowed to go back to school soon, sooner than I thought. I've been exempt from the work I missed these past few weeks. Dad thinks it's too soon for me to go back but I need to be someplace with other people my age.

I thought getting stared at because I was new was as far as it would go but being tackled by a football player will take the cake. I lay my head on my pillow and I feel like balling my eyes out. I have been super emotional since the accident, the doctor says it's normal for all of us to have high emotions right now. It's only been a half hour of us being home and I hear banging on the front door. One of my parents open the door and the sound of my grandmother's voice fills the house. She's telling mom how worried she was and how she couldn't even sleep on the plane.

A few seconds later, she's in my room gently hugging and kissing me. She's just as worried as everyone else.

"See, if you guys would move to Maine, things like this would not happen."  She tilts her head.

"Mom!" My mom shouts.

"It's the truth! This is ridiculous, who tackles a student who's definitely not a football player? Things have definitely changed and I bet you they get these stupid ideas from those little devices that are so popular now." Grandma shakes her head.

She is very much against new technology except for her iPhone. She's staying for as long as she wants which brings me comfort.