Kaden's return

February 12

It's bright and early on this Monday morning and today is my first day back. I stayed out a couple of extra days just to make sure I would be able to walk longer distances without running out of breath or feeling sick. Instead of taking showers at night, the doctor recommended doing it in the morning to help relax my muscles. Mom and dad check up on me every fifteen minutes and ask a million questions each time.

When we get to school, mom walks in with me. We go to the office because that's what the school requested when I returned. The principal talked to us and the nurse went over all the information the doctor sent over. I'm allowed to leave class at anytime to go to the nurse or have my teacher call for the nurse. It's ten minutes past the time first period started. When I get to Mr. Lions class, all heads turn. To my surprise, they all clap for me. The football players stand in the midst of all this.

"Welcome back Ms. Kaden." Mr. Lions gives me a smile.

I take my usual seat.

"I've missed you so much." Ellia is nearly in tears.

I haven't returned anyone's calls or messages because I haven't touched my phone since the incident. I get up to hug Ellia and I notice how soft she's hugging me.

"I've missed you too, I've missed all of you actually."

Jordi puts his hand to his heart and makes a pouting face.

I see Jesse staring at me out of the corner of my eye. He comes off as a tough guy but his big brown eyes and kind smile says otherwise. He and I talked here and there but never consistent but I have a gut feeling that's gonna change. The class continues as it normally would. I can't help but think about how the rest of the day will go. I am excused from gym for a while which sucks because I was just getting back into softball. Ellia was so excited to do this with me and we're put on hold.

The bell rings, it's like there is a bubble around me. No one is standing closer than five feet to me. So many people I have never seen before are talking to me now and I definitely  feel weird about it. Lunch is always the most interesting, no one is required to stay in a seat so everyone makes their way over to my table at some point.

"He won't get away with this." Jesse looks me in the eye.

"I know, my parents are talking with the lawyers, seeing what's going on."

"That's not what I mean. He's gonna have to deal with us if he gets out. It's one thing to be an ass in general but to physically attack a girl, you, that's where the dumb shit ends." His voice is stern and he's genuinely pissed.

"Who's we?" Ellia asks.

"Me, some of the guys on the track team and some football players. He can't get away with this."

I feel my world starting to crash down.

"Look, I'm so thankful you guys want to stand up for me but do not go after Theo. He's wrong in so many ways and the last thing I want is for you guys to be put in my mess."

"Ah, so we finally put a name to a face. Just tell us what happened at Silverleaf, Liana. We're gonna find out one way or another." Jordi blurts out.

"Yeah, we need to know. I have my own theories but after what happened, I know your situation is beyond anything I could ever think of." Myles speaks to me for the first time today.

"My ex, Theo, is self absorbed and completely full of himself. He controlled me for the longest time. I was his helpless little puppy who was by his side most of the day. I wasn't myself." I get chills thinking about how restricted I was.

"Disgusting. Why did he hurt you? And Elly told us she heard him say "you shouldn't have left." What's that about?" Jordi is completely intrigued in our conversation.

"Well, I moved here in the middle of the year because of him. I left without saying anything to anyone. I cut off all contact and he couldn't stand it. I told you, he truly believes he owns me. His friends stood around and watched me be miserable. They're just as bad as him and when I finally got away, I knew I was going to be better. Coronado high was my fresh start. A part of me felt like there was a possibility I couldn't hide forever but it hasn't even been that long, you know?"

"Why didn't you tell us?" Jesse stares at me. "We could have helped."

I can think of a million reasons as to why I didn't tell anyone about my past. I don't even want to remember it myself. I couldn't do after school activities because I was on such a tight leash. My memories of him are still fresh in my brain. I was so young when this all started, it still scares me that even as a young high school kid, I was stuck and within a short amount of time my life was so different. Years later and I don't know any other relationship other than Theo and it sucks.

"This is my problem, Jesse. I won't drag anyone from here into it, I won't hurt you guys too." I stretch my arms. I cramp up pretty easily now, I wake up about ten times through the night just because I get muscle cramps.

I can tell I'm the fragile puppy of the school right now. Coach Liz checks on me every few minutes. She's even allowing me to sit today instead of just walking around the field.

This is what I was afraid of. Coming here, being the talk of the school again. I'm hoping this will die down in a few weeks. I'm tired of hiding.