"Why'd you leave?"

January 22

Sports here go on basically forever. When I get to school, a couple of people inform me that this is the time where our school does scrimmages with schools they normally wouldn't have games against during the regular season. Everyone talks about it so they can get as many people out to support.

Ellia is so perky and extremely friendly. She's a natural redhead with brown eyes and really freaking gorgeous. I didn't tell her that but one day I should. If I would have said all of the good things I thought about the younger girls at Silverleaf prep, they would have more confidence.

The cycle repeats and I'm in first period with the people who hunted me down and showed up at my doorstep. Myles is not acknowledging anyone, he seems like he's very much into his school work, which I like.

-

Lunch rolls around and I don't talk unless I'm spoken to. It feels like the safest thing to do right now. I'm not at the point where I can just bring up a topic of conversation and run with it.

"So, I'm just gonna ask, why did you move?" Jesse blurts.

He finally decides to talk to me and this is how he goes about it? He's been quiet the whole lunch which isn't normal for him. I knew he was thinking about something but of course I wasn't going to ask. I sit for a while, staring at my food before answering.

"It was just time for my family and me to move." That's all I could give.

Jordi squints his eyes.

"I smell something bigger." He says.

I shrug. I try not to get angry because I don't want to have a meltdown in the middle of the cafeteria. Ellia changes the subject, which I'm extremely thankful for.

"We'll be outside for gym the rest of this week and most of these days other football teams will be here as well preparing for the scrimmages." She talks in between bites.

"Okay, cool. What teams are coming?"

"I have the paper right here." Myles pulls out the schedule.

Jordi takes the paper before it gets in my hand and analyzes it.

"Oh look what we have here. We're playing Silverleaf Prep on Wednesday." He looks up and smiles at me.

"Oh no." I say quietly but they all heard me. I stand quickly and excuse myself from the table. My fast walking turns into jogging as I head to the bathroom, trying not to puke on myself. I did make it in time and I actually puked.

Hearing something never made be that sick to my stomach before. The fear inside me is indescribable. So much for me going away and staying away, although this could still work. If I stay out of sight, they won't know I'm here. Theo plays football and so does a lot of his friends. He's pretty much obsessed and when anything about football comes to light he's pretty much a goner for the time being.

I clean myself up and get a piece of gum from someone in the hall. I could only imagine what they are saying at the lunch table. I walk the halls for the rest of the period and meet up with Ellia in the gym. She asks questions but nothing major or overwhelming.

January 23

After school today, dad takes me to his job. He didn't have to work today but he did have to pick up something from his boss so he allowed me to come with and look around. When we were in San Clemente, he was at his previous job for over eight years. He used to take me all the time, it was like our special bonding time.

"Isn't this much better than San Clem? You weren't the only one who needed to get out of there you know." He chuckles.

"I know, thank you for allowing us to leave. It's good to finally be out."

He nods. I know my dad has more emotions than he lets on. I still don't know how he completely felt about the situation at my old school but I kind of don't want to know either. The rest of the night we just relax at home. My homework load hasn't really gotten big so these are the times I get to relax.

January 24

Jordi went pretty easy on me this morning. He actually didn't say anything about what happened yesterday. Jesse, on the other hand, seemed different at lunch. It's like the invisible wall in front of him dropped down half way.

Now that it's time for gym, Coach Liz has the softball girls stretching on the field. She shows us the correct standing positions for when we're in the field and when batting. Today the sun is out, it's not cold but there is a breeze.

Silverleaf is on the football field and I am truly freaked out but focusing on coach Liz helps. I see a few boys from my science class talking to some of the boys from my old school. Of course, number eighty-two is sucking up to everyone, so they think he's a good guy. Theo is eighty-two and I forever hate that number.

I feel like I've heard my name in the distance but I blame that on my paranoia right now. It's really loud out here, too many things going on.

Coach is showing us how to correctly throw the ball and I've placed myself all the way in the back.

"It's all in the wrist." She says.

"Make sure you don't overth-" She stops mid-sentence.

My body is thrown to the side, I hit the ground with nothing but fear coursing throughout my whole body.

"Liana!" I hear someone scream.

Chaos has broken out. People gasp, I hear screams in the distance. I can't move but I hear everything that's happening. I feel a heavy weight lift off of me but the pain is still there.

"What did you do?" Ellia is screaming and crying at the same time.

"Why'd you leave?" I hear Theo whisper with a shaky voice and heavy breathing. "You shouldn't have left."

My name gets called so many times. I can't respond, my body won't let me.