Pick and choose

Liana's POV

April 2

My phone has been receiving calls from a weird number all morning after the third call, I was gonna pick it up but I didn't make it to my phone in time. I'm on my way to school when my phone rings again in the car. This is the first day my parents have let me drive the car to school which is pretty exciting for me. I answer my phone this time, just to see if maybe this person had the wrong number.

"Press one to accept a collect call from San Clemente county jail." The automated voice mail makes my stomach turn.

I hang up as fast as I can. Of course he finds a way to get to me even in jail. Theo was already 18 so they placed him into actual jail instead of juvenile detention. I can't cry right before I start driving so I suck it up and head to school. I'm more so angry than anything else because I can't seem to shake this guy.

This actually reminds me of the time when we got into one of our first fights. I was so hurt, I didn't answer his calls for days. He came over to my house, unfortunately for me, mom and dad weren't home. He screamed and screamed, told me how stupid I was for not picking up and said I better not ignore him again. That night I went to bed feeling so sick but it took me a while to realize Theo is actually sick. He needs help in more ways than one and I know I'm not the only one who knows it.

In class, I have no problems staying focused. The constant calling feels all too familiar and when I say I am sick and tired of Theo's crap, I don't think anyone knows how serious I am.

"So what do you think it is? A boy or girl?" Jordi whispers to Ellia.

We're all in class but everyone is talking so its not like we will be heard. Elly shows me her belly when we're alone. It's crazy how fast she's growing but she's not big enough where you would notice her just yet. Ellia wears big t shirts most of the time but they work for her, no one is suspicious yet.

"I don't know. We have a lot boys in our family, so who knows. I do think it'll be a girl though, I have this feeling that I can't shake. The doctor says baby is measuring exactly where it should be which makes me so happy. I was thinking I wanted to make finding out the gender special so I was wondering if you'd do a mini gender reveal for just us, Liana?" My eyes snap to her so quickly.

"Me?"

"Yeah, only if you want to. I know teen pregnancy is nothing to celebrate but with all of this stress and fear I have right now, I think a party like this will help with that hopefully." She's super hesitant.

"Of course I will. I never threw a party before so if it sucks, I'm truly sorry." We all laugh.

"Thanks, this does mean you'll know the gender before anyone and you need to hold that secret until the party."

"Boo, I want to know." Jordi blurts.

"You're really gonna keep that to yourself for a couple of days?" Elly points out.

From what I hear, Jordi doesn't keep much to himself.

"Yeah, you're right. This is a huge responsibility Liana, can you handle it?" He gets closer to me.

"I've kept so much in for years, I think I can deal." This conversation took a turn but it's true.

"I'm doing the blood test this week so when I get the results, they're going straight to you. I think I'm going to tell my dad and grandma today too. It won't be long until they see the bills in the mail. Our insurance covers most of the cost but they'll see them in the mail for sure."

I can't imagine how she must feel, whatever it is I am always going to be there for her. Ellia is nothing like anyone in silverleaf, I'm so thankful for that.

"And names? I think Jordi would be the perfect middle name." He gloats.

I see Jesse glance at our table, it sucks that Mr. Lions won't just put him at our table but I guess he knows we'll talk constantly.

"Uh, I thought about it but nothing really sticks. I'm open to suggestions though." She looks around. "Not your name Jordi, be serious." Elly says before he got a chance to say anything.

We laugh. She looks to me.

"I have a name in mind but I want to wait to tell you. At the party, I'll let you know." I smile mischievously.

"No," She drags. "Don't make me wait. I have enough waiting to do with the gender." I think I just want to wait a little more to make sure that this is the name I want to present to her. I've learned to observe people more, thanks to silverleaf. Being around her for the time that I have, I've picked up some information.

They distract me from the phone call issue for a while but it does come up in my mind a few times. I hate keeping things in but it seems like I'm really good at it, unfortunately.