Paint me a picture

April 23

Today feels weirder than usual, probably because I am at Jesse's house and no one ever expected this. I didn't think my mom and dad would let me come over but  his parents are home so they were really happy about that.

We go to his basement which looks like a really cool hangout room. I like talking to him when he's not all defensive.

"We've been in this house for years, and believe it or not, I have so much love for it."

I smile.

I look around at the baby pictures of him and I can't help but point out how adorable he was when he was missing his two front teeth.

"Ellia's birthday is tomorrow you know. I got her some stuff, I can say it's from both of us you know?"

"Oh yeah, the big 18. Thanks but I got a little something for her already." I lower my voice by the end of my sentence.

"Hey, I need to ask you a serious question." I change the mood real quick.

"Go ahead." He looks me in my eyes.

"If you've seen Theo or anyone associated with Theo around here, you would tell me right?" I try not to let my voice shake.

I can't keep this thing to myself anymore, I'm terrified that someone close to him will get to me before he gets out.

Jesse gives me a concerned look.

"Of course but you know that won't happen Liana."

I don't say anything, my eyes are stuck on the wall.

He grabs my hand.

"What happened?"

"Uh, well there was a package in front of my locker last week. Inside were some of my favorite things and a note." It feels good saying this out loud but I know a volcano is about to erupt.

"Let me see the letter." He's serious and fearful.

I hand him the note out of my bookbag. I can't look at his face when he reads it.

"You have to tell someone now." He stands.

"I just did, Jesse."

"No, your parents, the cops, someone who can actually do something about this! This asshole has bothered you long enough now his family has joined in?"

"Look I know, I've been thinking about this nonstop but I just need more time. It took a lot for me to tell you and I'm glad I did. I don't feel safe anymore, I walk around school feeling sick because I'm terrified that I'll randomly see Theo." I can't look in one spot.

I told Jesse because although I told him that I would tell my parents soon, I know that if for some reason I would completely chicken out, he would tell. I hate that it's hard for me to speak about my own problems but this isn't something that can stay a secret.

"You have until tomorrow at four. News like this spreads around this town like wildfire, if I don't hear anything by four o'clock I'm going straight to your parents." The steps he takes back and forth make me nervous.

"I will, I promise. I need this to be over."

-

April 24

My morning consists of waking up extra early to head over to Ellia's house. Today is her eighteenth birthday and the first birthday I get to spend with her. When I get to her house her grandmother is heading out to her car so she just let me in. I walk quietly to her room so I can surprise her.

"Happy, Happy birthday pretty lady!" I shout but not too loud.

She only has a sports bra on and when she turns around it's like finding out she's pregnant all over again. She has officially popped and I just got even more excited. She doesn't have a huge bump yet but it's coming.

"Not exactly how I thought I'd look on my eighteenth birthday but I am grateful." She places her hand on her stomach.

There are already balloons in her room from her dad and grandmother. Ellia plans on keeping her birthday small and casual this year. She lets me feel her stomach and it's definitely harder than before. There is a baby in there for sure and I can't help but get excited.

"Well you're glowing on this beautiful day and I want you to open my gift. I can't wait anymore." I hand her the gift bag quickly.

I stuffed it with lots of tissue paper purposely but now I see how much of a mess it's making. She grabs the bag and I love seeing the excitement on her face. Elly hasn't even seen what my gift is yet but I can tell she feels the love on this special day.

She pulls out the canvas and its like everything stopped. She pauses for what feels like eternity and in that moment I have never been prouder of something I've painted before.

"Liana, I can't believe it." Her voice is soft.

In her hands, she has a painting I made of her and her belly bump. I outlined a female holding her bump with a sunset in the background. As Ellia's stomach grows, she always has her hands on it, looking down.

I wanted to capture that moment and so I did. I've never painted anything for a friend before, so this is different for me.

"Thank you so much. I love it." A tear strolls down her face as she stares at the painting.

I love this moment but I can't help but think about the package I got. Today is the day I have to tell someone and I have no idea who.

I stay at her house while she gets ready so we can go to school together. When we get there, it seems like there are more cars than usual. We get into first period and I get settled in as usual. I swear its like a broken record, same routine everyday.

A half hour into the period, two guys wearing suits come into class.

"Sorry to interrupt sir, we need to see Liana Kaden immediately." The gentleman in the light gray suit speaks.

Everyone turns to look at me and I don't even flinch when hearing my name. It was at that moment that I realized Jesse wasn't in class today. I get up silently and take all of my things. In the hall, I walk between the two men, feeling like I've just been arrested.

We get to a room where my principal, Jesse, a few detectives, and my lawyer wait for me. I don't know what to say to Jesse but I am not mad. A huge part of me is relieved that he told about the package.