Pick a name, any name

April 4

It's Wednesday and I definitely have more energy than usual. I am still physically excused from gym and I've finished my written assignment for the week. I see Jesse is outside with my class today, doing some things for the softball girls so I decide to go to him.

"You really are everywhere, aren't you." I walk up.

"Pretty much. You still out of gym?" He turns the conversation on me.

I nod.

"Maybe I'll get out there before the season starts. I want it more than ever now." I think I make this moment a little more dramatic because I look off into the distance.

"Yeah, they really miss you out there. I heard you were a pretty good player, especially at pitching but I don't know, I need to see for myself." He makes a mocking voice.

"Oh whatever, I could out pitch any day of the week." I joke.

I was completely kidding when I said that because let's be honest he's probably pretty great at that too. I felt comfortable enough to joke around with Jesse because he needs it the most. He can be so serious and I know he worries about us so much.

"Then I guess we'll just have to test that theory one day." He looks me in my eyes.

"This weekend? All of us can go to the park or something."

Something changes in him.

"Um, not this soon, maybe in a couple of months." He says into his hands.

Jesse's statement shocks me a little.

"A couple of months from now? You do know Elly will be double the size she is now right? She won't want to go anywhere. Why not now?"

"It's just not a good time." He's softer now.

"Not a good time for you or me?"

I know what this is about now.

"I just don't think you need extra stress on your body right now. You should rest up for the upcoming season. You know?"

"I think I should do the opposite. Train, get stronger. I'm not fragile Jesse, at least not anymore." I'm not mad at what he said.

Jesse is just being himself but I am okay now.

After school, Jesse, Ellia, and Jordi come over to my place. Both of my parents are home today and they're thrilled to see my friends.

My room is pretty much done. We got the new color on the walls and I even got to hang up some pictures I painted. I don't talk about my paintings at all but when people ask about it, I do answer.

"Wow, this place has changed since we tracked you down the first time." Jordi looks mesmerized.

Jesse gives him a glare which is expected since they did actually track me down.

"Okay so, my dad and grandma were disappointed but they are willing to help me. I mean they are still disappointed and I can feel that but I can kind of breathe now." Ellia blurts.

"That's good, and you have our support. Always." I reassure her.

"So the results should be coming in soon. We can do the party at my house, I'll take care of everything except the actual reveal because we all know whose job that is. Still wanna do it?" She widens her big brown eyes.

I nod.

I'm honestly really excited about this. I haven't told my parents yet because of obvious reasons. I don't want them to judge her before getting to know her, so I'll wait as long as I can.

"Whoa, you buy a lot of paintings. Are you really into art?" Jesse randomly says.

"Yeah, I am and no I don't buy art, I painted these." I pull out a bunch of other canvas paintings.

Their eyes widen simultaneously. Painting is a literal escape for me, it has been ever since Silver Leaf Prep. It is safe to say there are so many angry paintings of mine but I shoved those to the back of my closet when we moved in here.

"You're actually good Kaden, wow like crazy good. You might have to paint me one soon." Jordi raises his eyebrows at me.

No one besides my family has really seen what I've painted. It's something that I kept for just them but I am ready to change that. I've been thinking a lot about painting something for Ellia's new baby. I think it would be a really meaningful gift and I have something really cool in mind. I mean, it'll come together once I know the baby's gender and name. I haven't really asked her about names since that day in school, so now is as good as ever.

"Speaking of names, any more ideas?" I raise my eyebrows multiple times.

"We weren't speaking of names." She laughs.

I know we weren't but I get really excited about things like these.

"Not too late to start, you know."

"You're right. I want to hear your opinions though, what do you guys think?"

I like that she wants to hear our names suggestions. It really makes us feel apart of this journey even more.

"How about we write our baby boy and girl names on pieces of papers and we look at them on the day of the gender reveal." Jordi suggests.

"That's cool." Jesse agrees.

We all get a small piece of paper and move to different places in my room. Ellia is on my bed watching us all write. I do write the name that has been in mind for a while. I did say I would tell her the name at the party. This is the most all of us have been quiet when we're together. There is always at least one of us who has so much to say.

"K, I'm done." Jesse folds his paper first, then Jordi, and I give mine in last.

We decided to give this secret to Jesse since I'm already going to find out the gender. Of course, Jordi had a little something to say about but he's already doing so much for the party.

At this point in my life, I actually feel like I'm floating above water instead of under it. I have friends who are pretty amazing and even though we are not the average teenagers at all, we're still pretty good kids.