fifteen: forming bonds

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

ALTHOUGH THEIR PLAN was to make another boy jealous, both Jaxon and Lyra thoroughly enjoyed each other's company. She saw him as someone willing to support another person even when he got nothing out of it, which was admirable in many ways. While he saw her as someone who wouldn't judge him for his actions or who he was, something he didn't have a lot of in his life.

They were just two misunderstood teenagers trying to live a life designed by their parents, like most other kids their age who belonged to 'the dark side'. It was an unlikely friendship and bond that formed between them, but one that they both valued deeply.

The pair were leaning against a tree located near the black lake, the sun just beginning to set. They were in the middle of yet another operation, all four of the Marauders sitting not too far away from them. Lyra had noticed out of the corner of her eye James looking at her about every five seconds, but she chose to ignore him just as he did her.

Jaxon was twirling a cigarette in between his pointer and middle finger, the item unlit as he observed it carefully.

"Why do you smoke?" Lyra suddenly asked, interrupting his thoughts. He looked over at her, raising an eyebrow. "Why not?" he questioned.

She frowned, taking the cigarette from his grip, inspecting the item for herself. He sighed, leaning his head back, his gaze traveling up to the sky. "I don't really know" His lips formed into a thin line, fingers unconsciously beginning to tap against the side of his leg. "I kind of just started a couple of years ago and never stopped"

"Why did you start?" she pressed, eyebrows furrowing. Lyra had never been too fond of the action herself. It scared her that something as small as that had the power to kill her without even realizing it. "Probably the same reason people turn to alcohol" he shrugged. "Needed a way to past time, and uh — hide from reality, I guess. It's kind of like-"

"An escape" she finished for him, sucking in a breath. Everyone had one. It didn't matter who you were, what you looked like, or what blood ran through your veins. They were all apart of one species. They were all the same, even if some people were too ignorant to realize it. "Yeah" he sighed. "Like an escape"

She nodded, handing the cigarette back to him, the boy hesitating for a moment before taking it within his grasp. Lyra gnawed at her bottom lip, observing the Slytherin next to her carefully. She noticed the slight bags underneath his eyes and the way his hair fell over a small part of his face. She noticed that he never tried to show his emotions to anyone he didn't consider a friend, and how he brushed everything off as if he didn't care, even when he did.

He was another example of a pureblood teenager forced to fall under his parents beliefs. It did take one to know one. And it was actually rather obvious if you paid attention. He never disrespected any of the muggleborns at school, and didn't take part in any of the bullying his small circle of friends tended to engage in. He was just the guy who stood back and watched.

And arguably, those kinds of people were worse than the ones inflicting the actual pain, but Lyra could see it. She could see it in his eyes. He was a good person. He tried his best to be different without drawing attention, just as the rest of them did. Jaxon Rowle was another pawn in this never ending game. Another name slapped onto the end of a list that would never be found, recorded, or cared about. Another victim.

"I never thought I'd find myself in a situation where I would say this to you, but-" Lyra paused for a moment, grabbing onto his hand tightly. "I'm really glad you're my friend" He chuckled lightly, his head hanging low. "Yeah — yeah, me too" he smiled, pulling her closer into his side.