seventy seven: closure

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

JAMES AWKWARDLY CLEARED his throat, shifting in his seat slightly. Him, Lyra, Mason, Regulus, and Ella were all gathered around the dinner table, silently eating their meals. After taking the protection shield down, he was in complete shock upon first seeing the Macmillan girl. It was very well known, especially throughout the purebloods, that she had been missing since returning on the train last term.

He had never once asked Lyra about it when they were still together, mostly because he didn't want to hurt her by bringing it up. He knew that if any of his best mates had gone missing, he'd go absolutely mad and hysterical. He's been able to put two and two together, however, and worked out this must be where she's been staying. A safe house of some sort. Lyra had been so worried about how he found it. It was the only plausible option that made sense.

This was probably the most uncomfortable situation he's ever been in, though. Of course when him and Lyra first started dating, he had trouble connecting to all three of the other people sitting at the table besides her. Regulus believed he would only bring her trouble considering Sirius now lived with him, and his family was labeled blood traitors.

Ella adored the idea of Lyra being with someone that made her happy, but James and the graduated girl got off on the wrong foot after all that ignoring business that occurred after their first kiss.

And Mason and him were pretty much set up to be rivals. A new love interest versus the best friends who's always been at her side. Classic. But they too had finally reached a point where they understood and respected each other.

Now, everything was just weird.

"So, this is a nice place..." James trailed off. "How did you even find it?" he asked the older girl, trying to start up a conversation. Regulus was quick to intercept the question, dropping his fork which loudly hit his plate. "Don't ask her questions you know she shouldn't answer" Mason briefly closed his eyes. There was about a minute of peace before everything inevitably began to turn to shit. "And why can't she answer? I was just trying to be polite" the Potter defended, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Because you shouldn't even be aware that she's here! This could put us all in danger" the Black hissed, pointing his finger. Lyra lightly kicked his shin, gaining his attention. "Reg" she tried to reason, giving him a pleading look. James had to be involved in her life now. She couldn't just not tell him about the baby. Everyone was going to have to accept him and his presence.

Regulus didn't mean to go off like that. He just felt so on edge after everything Lyra had shared with them the other day. Adding James into this would just make things even more complicated. And while he may never say it out loud, he cared about Ella greatly. Her safety was more important to him than most realized, and he didn't want to jeopardize the home she's been able to build.

"Look mate, when are you going to realize that I'm on your side? I would never do anything to put any of you in danger" Regulus released a frustrated breath at the Potter's words. Mason sent his best friend a warning look. "Reg-" the older boy began, but was cut off. "You'll never understand what it means to be us. You can't be trusted. The rest of our friends don't even know she's here!"

"Please stop fighting" Lyra whispered, but the two infuriated boys didn't pick up on it. Mason did, however, sending her sad eyes full of sympathy. 'Are you okay?' he mouthed, to which she couldn't even nod her head to. "I didn't ask to be here! If Macmillan wishes to remain in secret than I shall keep that for her, but don't push your pent up anger onto me for no bloody reason!" James exploded.

"I have all the reason in the world" Regulus gritted out, the tension in the air now leaving the group in a thick silence. James' lips parted as he tried to think about what he could mean. How he was the reason. But the Potter would never see it the same way that Regulus did. Even if he explained it.