sixty seven: broken pieces

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

A TENSE SILENCE filled the air. Lyra could only stare at her 'twin', unsure if she had heard his words correctly. "I'm sorry?" she scoffed, pushing off the bed, paying no mind to her leg right now. Her arms folded across her chest, an action showing that she was trying to protect herself. "Lyra" Regulus' voice was strained as he reached out for her. She took a step back.

"Stop!" she screamed, causing the boy to pause in his actions. He could taste the salty tears on his lips, as Lyra's eyes began to water as well. "Fuck you, Reg. You — You can't just mess with someone like that!" She was having a hard time fully denying what he said, mainly because there was a small part of her that believed him. A small part that had known all along.

"You know that I'm not lying" he whispered, giving her a sad look. Lyra shook her head. "No" Her arms instinctively wrapped around her own waist. "No" she repeated, almost as if she were trying to convince herself that it wasn't true, but she knew. She knew by the way Regulus was looking at her. She knew because of the empty feeling she felt inside as her stomach completely dropped.

"I'm pregnant?" Her voice cracked, tears slipping down her cheeks. Regulus tilted his head, doing his best to stop his own crying. He had to be strong for her. "You were" That's all it took for a sob to escape past her lips, Lyra covering her mouth to muffle the noise. The room started to spin. The feeling of dread crawled it's way up her body, and suddenly, all she could feel was cold.

Bellatrix had stabbed her to kill the baby. A baby that Lyra didn't even know about. She had spent the last few months so worried about everyone and everything else, that she didn't even notice that she was expecting. A mother was always supposed to know. But she failed that unborn child. She failed to protect something as precious as her own daughter or son, because she was a foolish, young, and naive kid. But that was no excuse. Not to her at least.

"Please leave" Lyra said so softly, he almost missed it. "What? No" he quickly denied. Regulus couldn't just leave her. She was hurting. Probably more than she ever has before. It was his responsibility to take care of her. To make sure that she was alright.

"Reggie" But the tone that she was using. The vulnerable one that made his heart absolutely break. The kind that physically showed each insecurity and damaged piece of herself that she normally kept on the inside. From that tone he knew that she needed to be alone. He knew that she could only heal from this in her own way, no matter how hard it was for him to actually walk away.

"Okay" he gave in, raising his hands as an act of surrender. He stared at her tear streamed face, swallowing down the rest of his pride as he slowly backed up towards the wall. It felt as if every part of his body was aching, telling him not to leave her behind. To hold her. To comfort her. But there was nothing he could do to make it better. Nothing he could say to help. Not in this situation.

"Please remember that I love you, Ly. I'll always be on your side" Just as that final statement slipped past his lips, Regulus passed through the threshold, his view now shifting to the dark green wallpaper that laced every single part of the common room.

Lyra stilled. She was alone now. Tears unwillingly fell down her cheeks, and she didn't even bother to wipe them away. Her magic was still gone. There was no need to control her temper. To keep her emotions in check. And that's why, she let it all out.

She ripped the blankets and pillows off of her bed, swiping everything off of her night stand next. Uncontrolled sobs tore through the air as she threw open her drawers, tossing all of her clothes to the ground. The big wooden piece of furniture tipped over, the sound of the wood hitting the floor echoing throughout the room. Chilling and empty screams escaped from her tiny frame, the young girl throwing her books to the side, tearing the pages out, not caring what got damaged.