twenty six: infinite

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

LYRA AND REGULUS entered their common room, already prepared with a cover story. It was a fairly believable lie they had come up with on their way there. They weren't surprised to find all of their friends sitting on the couches in front of the fireplace, knowing the New Year's Eve Party was meant to start in about half an hour.

"Well, don't you all look nice" the elder twin voiced, causing all of them to look back. "Holy shit" Ella breathed, immediately running up to her best friend. "Mate!" Barty exclaimed, pulling Regulus in for a hug. Rabastan and Jaxon soon followed in their actions.

Mason hung back for a bit, unsure of how to feel. He was happy that they had returned, worried because they hadn't answered him all break, and nervous for why they arrived a week early. But Lyra looked over at him with her captivating eyes, and he instead chose to focus on the simple relief that she was here back at Hogwarts, safe and within his reach. He sighed as he pulled her small frame into a hug, feeling her body tremble slightly. "You're alright, pumpkin" he whispered, placing a kiss on the top of her head. He then moved over to hug Regulus, patting him on the back.

"What are you guys doing here?" Barty questioned, still smiling like an idiot. The sight absolutely warmed Lyra's heart. The Crouch boy was honestly something else. "Our parents had business to attend to elsewhere. Dumbledore said it was alright to come back" The Black boy answered, placing his trunk on the ground. "How'd you get here?"

"Floo system. It's connected to Dumbledore's office" Lyra pitched in, leaning her head against Rabastan's shoulder. "And I see you just came from the party" Ella noted, frowning while looking down at their attire. "It must have been urgent business" Both of the twins stiffly nodded their heads. Their friends didn't have to ask, they already knew what they were implying.

"It's good to have you back" Jaxon smiled. "Now, you can actually ring in the new year with us" Lyra pulled her bottom lip between her teeth, eagerly nodding her head. She felt so lucky to have friends like this with her. Ones who had her back and were there for her, even when they didn't know what was going on.

She knew that if she didn't have them, well, she had no idea what she would be doing. Probably blindly giving in to every word and order her parents uttered like a dog. "Come on, let's get you all cleaned up" Ella tugged the young witch up to their dormitories, the boys doing the same with Regulus.

Lyra couldn't help the laughs that escaped past her lips as Ella pulled her into her room. "I've missed you too" she smiled. "And thank you for the charm. It's beautiful" she said, shaking her wrist lightly to alert the older of the two of the bracelet she was wearing. "Of course" The sixth year replied, quickly using a drying spell to help Lyra warm up.

"Tell me what happened while I was away" the Black pleaded, smiling as if she knew something. "I have this gut feeling about you and a certain best mate of mine" Ella felt the heat rush up to her cheeks, covering her face with her hands in embarrassment. "Tell me!" Lyra squealed, the Macmillan's actions pretty much assuring her that her assumptions were in fact correct.

"We may have kissed" Ella admitted shyly, toying with her hands. "I knew it!" the fifth year exclaimed, tackling her into a hug. "This is so great!"

"Barty happened to pull us away right in the middle of it, though" the older girl chuckled, shaking her head at the memory. Lyra gaped. "What! I'm going to throw him off of the bloody astronomy tower!" she threatened, tossing her hands out to the side. She had been waiting for this moment to happen for months and it finally did. Of course Barty of all people would find a way to ruin it. Ella tossed her head back, her infectious laughter filling the air.