fifty six: promises

*slight smut warning*

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

REGULUS SILENTLY TOOK a seat on the floor next to his 'sister', watching her carefully. They had just received their first mail of the school year that morning at breakfast, and she had been too scared to open any of the letters all day, which is why he was currently seated in her private room at around one in the morning, waiting for her to get on with it. He knew that she needed the support.

Taking a deep breath, Lyra picked up the first letter. It was in a very neat white envelope that she could recognize the handwriting from easily. She eagerly opened it, pulling out the parchment from inside.

Dearest Lyra and Regulus,

I haven't been able to see either of you since the wedding, but Mason Burke tells me that you had fun staying with that boy I know Lyra is completely smitten with. I look forward to meeting and learning his name one day.

Your parents have been strangely calm after posting about your disappearance. At first, I thought it was some joke they were playing, until I realized that it wasn't.

I don't think you understand just how glad and grateful I am to hear that you both are alright. I thought you had been kidnapped or maybe even worse, however, I choose not to think about what else could have happened.

Hogwarts will keep you safe, and keep what cannot be shared hidden. I know it hurts. When you come home for Christmas I promise I can help with the pain.

Your cousin,
N.B.

A small smile crossed Lyra's face. She knew that she was referring to the dark mark. She didn't know how she had been so lucky to have a family member like her. She figures the older of the two regrets how the situation with Andromeda played out, and wishes that they don't go through that same pain as well.

She internally made a promise to herself that she would tell Narcissa who her boyfriend was this coming Christmas. She believes that her cousin deserved  to know after how much she's helped her. And she trusts Cissy with her life. Always.

Lyra set the letter to the side, picking up the next envelope. The handwriting was very sophisticated, almost like it had withstood the test of time.

Dear Lyra,

This bloody letter system is absolutely outrageous. The owl tried to attack me, I swear! It could probably tell that I was superior to it, and therefore felt threatened.

The young witch chuckled, shaking her head slightly at his words. Regulus smiled at the sight.

Anyways, I hope all is well in that school of yours. I do hope we see each other soon. I can't help but paint you over and over again. I guess you could say you're rather stuck on my mind.

Keep well, love. But if that owl attacks me again I can't promise I will let it off so easily. And one mor-

Lyra furrowed her eyebrows as the word 'more' was cut off, and suddenly the writing switched to a much more messy and illegible one.

Darling! It's me, Kol! I'm currently running around the house while trying to write because Nik is bloody chasing me. Tell Regulus I said hi. Also, come back and visit please. That roach I call my brother is so mopey without you-

The handwriting went back to its original manner.

Sorry about that. Kol is a pest, but we already knew this. Go do school things now. I'm going to behead my brother. See you soon, love.