twenty eight: insight

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

LYRA BLACK SAT on the couch in the Slytherin common room, Barty Crouch Jr. curled up into her side. She was running a hand through his hair, an act that always brought the young boy comfort. His father had once again sent him a letter reprimanding him for his behavior at school.

The two Barty's had never really seen eye to eye. They were just too different. The more his father wanted him to be this picture perfect idea of a son, the more Barty strayed away from it.

The sixth year was fun, carefree, but his father was orderly and strict. The beginning of their lives together was actually a pleasant one. They had once truly embodied the definition of family. But it all changed when he got sorted into Slytherin. A house his father believed to be evil, cruel. A house that represented malicious intent and supported a leader who sought power and power alone.

Barty Crouch Jr. was only eleven years old when his dad stopped telling him he loved him.

"I don't understand why he always has to yell at me" the boy mumbled, a frown spreading across his face. "He just doesn't get you" Lyra replied, softly. "It scares him that you're a Slytherin" He scoffed. "It's been almost five years. You'd think he'd be used to it by now"

"Well, it probably doesn't help that you're friends with us" she chuckled. "Notorious crazy family and all" Barty shook his head. "You guys are the only reason I haven't lost it yet" He began to fiddle with the bracelet on her wrist, holding the new Slytherin charm Ella had given her between his fingers. "If you weren't here I-I don't know what I'd be. I'd honestly probably become one of them just to spite my father"

Lyra smiled lightly, planting a kiss on the top of his head. "I suppose it's a good thing you'll always have us then, huh?" He sighed, nodding as he stared into the fire. "Always" he whispered, leaning his head on her shoulder.

Barty was a true sucker for his friends. He would do absolutely anything and everything for them, but especially Lyra. He's always had a soft spot for the witch. Probably because she was his closest girl friend and has been for most of his life. Although he never really shows it, he does rely on her. More than he should. But he feels that it's her friendship that keeps him grounded and allows him to see the good from even the deepest and darkest parts of himself.

"Always"

✰ ✰ ✰

Lyra laughed as Remus dragged her outside, the two giggling loudly. "What's so important, Rem?" she questioned. "Just wait" he instructed eagerly, planting themselves flush up against a wall. Classes were just beginning to let out, crowds of students filling the hallway quickly. She looked around, unsure of what she was supposed to be waiting for.

But that's when she heard it.

Loud footsteps. But they weren't footsteps, not human ones anyways. She furrowed her eyebrows, turning her head towards the sound. An enormous stag rounded the corner, a black dog not too far behind. Students screamed as they desperately tried to get out of the way, Lyra gasping at the sight.

Remus began to laugh, doubling over as he held his stomach in pure amusement. The Black twin looked at him as if he were crazy. The stag slowly trotted over in front of the pair and Lyra noticed a small rat sitting on top of it. She was completely bewildered by the sight. The stag tilted its head up and looked the girl in her eyes, the action somehow sending a wave of comfort through her entire body.

She hesitantly reached forward to place her hand against its fur coat, feeling this weird but familiar sense of security. "What the hell?" she mumbled underneath her breath. The stag leaned into her touch. She let out a small yelp as she felt something brush up against her legs, looking down at the dog.