forty three: unexpected help

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

EVER SINCE THAT night, Lyra's magic has been out of control. If she ever felt too much of one emotion, it was almost as if her magic acted out as a gesture of self defense.

She had received a letter from James, one that brought tears to her eyes, and when she released her first sob, the picture frame on her night stand fell over. When she stubbed her toe in the kitchen, crying out in agony, a plate practically exploded from on top of the dining room table. And when she had gone back to the library and tried to figure out what had happened the other night, she got so frustrated that an entire shelf of books came crashing down to the floor.

But the hardest thing by far has been trying to hide all of this from every single member of her family.

She knew that Regulus was on to her. After all, he did know her better than anyone else. Lyra's been trying to stay isolated — sitting in her bedroom, attempting to stay calm so that she wouldn't have random outbursts of energy spouting out of her fingertips every second. It could potentially put the people around her in danger.

She needed to learn control.

But it also didn't help that she had no fucking clue as to what was going on with her.

There was also something else that was freaking her out just a little bit. Honestly, she wasn't sure if she was just going insane or if it was actually happening, but she felt like she looked different. Her hair seemed a bit more loose in a way, and instead of keeping the original black gene that ran in her family, it almost appeared a somewhat dark brown in the sunlight. Her eyelashes seemed longer, lips more plump, and her nose just a teeny tiny bit straighter than it was before. She didn't know how to explain it, but she just didn't look the same.

Lyra tied her hair up in a loose bun, taking a deep breath before exiting her room for the first time that day. She needed to stay calm, neutral.

As soon as she got one foot out the door, her body was slammed into the wall across the way, the ground beneath her disappearing before she could even register what was going on.

✰ ✰ ✰

James was lying flat on his back, one hand resting behind his head, and the other throwing and catching the same snitch he always kept in his pocket, or at least within his relatively close vicinity. He doesn't really know what he found so addicting about the small object, but he does refuse to give it back.

Sirius was on the opposite end of the bed, drawing possible quidditch plays in a notebook, which is a job that the captain normally does, but the Black had asked to attempt it himself, James obviously agreeing. His eyebrows were furrowed, tongue poking at the inside of his cheek as he concentrated on actually trying to figure out something that worked.

"Moony's coming over tomorrow night, right?" James questioned, tilting his head slightly to look over at his friend. "Mhm" Sirius hummed, pausing for a moment. "He said probably before dinner because he's excited to eat Mama Euph's food"

The Potter smiled, shaking his head lightly. "Yeah, yeah, I get it. You love her food for than me" The boy with the mid hair length nodded. "Bloody right I do" he chuckled, sitting up and tossing the notebook aside. "How's it going with you two anyways?" James asked, putting his snitch down as well.

"Really good. Plus, it's brilliant we don't have to keep it a secret anymore" Sirius replied, smiling chirpily. James chuckled, rubbing at his eye. "It was obvious, mate" The Black's jaw dropped. "No, it wasn't" he huffed, stubbornly.

"Wormy and I had a bet to see how long it would take for you two to come clean" James shrugged. "I won, but I'm pretty sure he forgot about it" Sirius rolled his eyes, throwing one of his crumpled up pieces of paper at him. "Says the guy who pretended to not like my sister for like a month"