twenty nine: valentine's day

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

THE SUN WAS shining brightly, illuminating the the great hall as students began to celebrate one of the most highly anticipated holidays of the year. Valentine's day. All of the meals were to be themed and the normal house tablecloths were replaced with red and pink decorations.

"Love is great and all, but what in the holy fuck is happening?" Ella questioned, lips parting in shock. "They've never dressed up the hall as much as this before" Her eyes wandered around the room in astonishment. Lyra chuckled at her reaction. "I suppose the professors were really feeling it this year. Or maybe a student did it"

"It makes me happy but also want to throw up at the same time" the seventh year sighed, shaking her head. The Black gave her a knowing look. "Right, because you totally aren't waiting to see Mason right now" she deadpanned, stifling her laughter.

Ella's cheeks burned in embarrassment. The pair were currently standing at the entrance of the hall, waiting for the rest of their friends. "Shut up" she mumbled, looking down to hide her face. Her and the Burke boy had been getting along really well lately. Neither of them had actually asked to become an official couple yet, but they didn't mind. They both wanted to take things slow.

"All I'm saying is-" Lyra interrupted herself by letting out a squeal, someone's hands being placed over her eyes. "James" she whined, the boy smiling as he kissed her on the cheek and moved his hands down to her waist. "Happy Valentine's day, darling" he whispered in her ear, sending shivers down her spine. "Happy Valentine's day, baby" she murmured, leaning back into his chest.

Ella smirked at the couple. "Just to let you know, Potter. The only reason you're standing here instead of having your ass thrown out onto the lawn is because you make my best friend happy. I have not forgotten about how you ignored her after kissing her a couple of months ago, and yes, I hold grudges" Lyra chuckled at how petty she sounded. This was one of Ella's most entertaining qualities.

James gulped. "And pay attention because I am only going to day this once. Hurt her again and I'll make sure you cease to exist" she smiled sweetly, batting her eyelashes. He nodded his head quickly, his fear of the older girl only growing. "Ella" Lyra sighed, shaking her head as she nudged her friend. "Quit it"

The girl huffed. "I'm just making sure he knows who's boss around here" James sent her a sheepish smile. "I don't plan on hurting her ever, I swear. Lyra is one of the most important people in my life" he breathed, squeezing his girlfriend a little tighter. Ella narrowed her eyes in an almost suspicious way, but eventually nodded her head. "Good"

Before he could utter in another promise of affection, a group of girls suddenly approached the trio. Both Lyra and Ella had to refrain from rolling their eyes. "You'd think after we literally blew up your head and teeth the last time you were around us, you'd know to never do it again" the seventh year scoffed, rubbing her forehead out of exhaustion.

Sophie Williams sneered at the girl, "We're not here to talk to either of you" she spat. Lyra swore she had to wipe literal spit from her face. Gross, she thought to herself. "We're here for James, of course" the Ravenclaw gushed. Ella and Lyra looked towards each other confused.

"What do you need?" James questioned, tilting his head. Sophie and the rest of her little crew all had quite the heart eyes on their faces and were practically drooling at the sight of the chaser. "It's Valentine's day, silly. Aka the day of love" the Williams girl smiled. The sight made Lyra's stomach churn.

"Of course you're spending it with us?" Although stated as a question, it was almost as if the girl had already expected a certain answer. She was leaving no room for any argument.