thirty five: suspicions

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

THE GREAT HALL had its normal buzz of life surging through it, everyone trying to scarf down their breakfasts before classes start. Lyra, Regulus, and Mason were seated at the Slytherin house table, talking softly amongst each other.

"quid est, quod supponitur, ut dico?" (What is that supposed to mean?) the younger twin questioned, furrowing his eyebrows. "quare irrumabo est coluber relicto?" (Why the fuck is a snake leaving?) He was beginning to get overwhelmed by the contents of the letter Mason had showed them. "anguis repraesentat tenebris dominus" (The snake represents The Dark Lord) the sixth year explained.

"et vult, ut conscribere minor populus" (And he wants to recruit younger people) Lyra connected the dots, pursing her lips in realization. "dicis nobis?" (You mean us?) the seeker asked, sucking in a breath. "non. non ante nos etiam lectus, ius?" (No. Not before we even graduated, right?) Mason glanced at his two best friends, the same look of both fear and preparation swimming in their eyes.

"hoc non potest jus" (This can't be right) the quidditch captain sighed. "nos ' supponitur ad plus tempus" (We're supposed to have more time) He reached up, pinching the bridge of his nose in exhaustion. His foot began to rapidly tap against the floor. Lyra noticed it, placing a gentle hand on his knee to stop him. She recognized it to be a nervous tactic of his.

"suus ' iens ut purus. omnia valebit" (It's going to be okay. Everything will be fine) she attempted to reassure, smiling lightly to put on a brave face. "parentes dixit, et viginti et unum et super magis est verisimile. sumus tutum" (Your parents said twenty one and over is more likely. We're safe)

Lyra was lying straight through her teeth, but she didn't want to worsen the situation by continuing to look at all of the negatives. Safe was a tricky word. One that she probably shouldn't toss around like she does. She just wanted to keep her friends happy. That's all she ever wanted to do.

"nos sunt, non stupri tutum" (We are not fucking safe) Regulus argued, angrily picking up a piece of toast. It was a strange sight to say the least. "numquam erit" (Never will be) he muttered. Lyra frowned. "nescis, quod" (You don't know that) she dismissed. "habemus arbitrium" (We have a choice)

The younger Black scoffed. "solum electio video mors est et betrayl, aut devotionis et carceres" (The only choice I see is death and betrayal, or devotion and imprisonment) he deadpanned, running a hand through his hair in a frustrated manner.

"bene, quid faciemus de eo?" (Well, what do we do about it?) Mason asked, taking a sip of his orange juice. Lyra shrugged. "quid facere possumus?" (What can we do?) she stressed, shaking her head lightly.

"quisque morabatur, vivens est satis mihi" (Everyone staying alive is enough for me) Regulus mumbled. He looked down the table, spotting Rabastan, Barty, and Jaxon just a few feet away from them. He smiled. His friends were everything to him.

"yeah, me quoque" (Yeah, me too) Lyra agreed, her gaze settling on the four mischievous boys sitting at the Gryffindor table. A certain messy haired one with glasses caught her eye. He was already staring at her. She felt her cheeks heat up, dropping her chin as she shifted in her seat.

"im ' iens ut run tergum ut meus dorm realis velox" (I'm going to run back to my dorm real quick) she rushed out, quickly standing up and walking towards the door before either of the Slytherins could stop her. She nervously tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, readjusting the strap of her bag so that it wouldn't fall off of her shoulder.

The young witch fiddled with her fingers as her footsteps echoed off of the stone floor. She was about to turn the corner when a voice stopped her. "Lyra!" James called out. He would have used his nickname for her but didn't want to overstep any boundaries. She halted her movements, spinning on her heels. "Can we talk?" he questioned, continuing to inch closer to her, slowly.