forty one: goodbyes

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

THE BLACK FAMILY entered the household, each member looking around with different expressions plastered across their faces. The letter that Lyra's parents had stopped her punishment for was actually from the Macmillans. Kate and Edwin were beyond concerned about where their only child was, not having even seen her step off of the train at the platform.

She saw the two distressed adults sitting on their living room couch, the mother in complete hysterics. Ella's father was desperately trying to comfort her, but all of his attempts were very much unsuccessful. Walburga and Orion were quick to come to their aid, joining them at their side.

"Please, please. Have you seen her?" Kate sobbed out, looking at the entire family desperately. "I'm sorry, Kate. We haven't" Walburga consoled. It was strange sight for the twins to witness — their cold hearted mother actually trying to be there for someone else. "Did she say anything? Maybe where she was planning on going?" the saddened woman continued, this time her gaze solely trained on Lyra.

The young witch had just picked herself up off of the floor a mere five minutes ago, casting the same masking charm she used during school to hide her injuries. She was tired and worn out, but she also knew she had to keep up the act and play along. "I'm sorry, Ms. Macmillan. I thought Ella was coming home. She never mentioned wanting to leave to me"

Walburga observed the girl with interest. She wasn't quite sure she believed her. Lyra Black was a very nifty little person. She knew how to get what she wanted, especially if it meant helping someone she cared about.

"Would you like us to search her room?" Regulus spoke up. "Perhaps we could find something that you missed — a letter she left behind" Lyra pitched in. The Black twins had switched into their mischievous planning mode, making sure to sound concerned as if they didn't know what was going on, completely fooling the two Macmillans, their parents, however, not so much.

"Please" the mother nodded. "Anything to find our daughter" And for a moment, Lyra did feel bad. After all, she was the mastermind behind Ella's disappearance. But, the Macmillans were willing to give up her free will and send her off to become a soldier in an army she didn't want to be apart of. So, Lyra brushed it aside, once again telling herself that she did what she had to do for the sake of her friend.

The two children excused themselves from the four adults, making their way up the grand staircase and then down the left hall. Ella's room was the last door on the right. The pair pushed through, Lyra immediately casting a quick 'muffliato'.

"Alright, you grab her things from the closet, I'll do the dresser. If you see any little sentimental items like pictures, pack those as well" she instructed, Regulus simply nodding his head to show that he understood.

The siblings started rushing around the room, tossing everything they could into the two trunks Ella had under her bed. Lyra threw in everything that could fit, pausing for a second when her eyes landed on something green on the corner of the elder girl's night stand. She slowly walked towards it, taking the small item in her hand, observing it closely.

When they were only kids, maybe around six and seven years old, the Black had given the Macmillan a small Christmas tree made out of paper. It could hold its own and stand up by itself, but don't get her wrong, it was beyond ugly and a complete mess. But Lyra remembered being so proud of herself and what she created, because it was the first thing she's ever really made on her own without the use of magic.

And because she, herself, loved it so much, she gave it to her best friend. She wanted her to have it. And Lyra never knew that even after all these years, she still kept it. She figured it had been thrown out ages ago.