eighty six: explode

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

REMUS WAS NERVOUS. Truthfully, this was one of the scariest nights of his life. The full moon was meant to rise soon. Just like Lyra instructed on how the wolfsbane potion worked, he had drank a vial every day of the week leading up to tonight. He didn't have any expectations as to how it was going to go. He didn't want to get his hopes up or anything, just in case it didn't actually work. Brewing the potion was supposed to be extremely tedious. He couldn't fault the girl if there had been a mistake along the way.

The boy nervously ran his hands through his hair as he began making his way towards the secret passage. He had the map with him, telling him that the coast was clear. He could already feel the beginning effects of the moon. His senses were almost heightened in a way.

He blew out a breath as he finally stepped foot outside the castle. You'd think after so many years of having to go through with this, he'd be somewhat used to it. Almost like it was normal, but it wasn't. And he knew that it was never going to be normal to him. Not when he resented this part of himself so much.

He quickly made his way over to the Whomping Willow, the tree lightly swaying in the wind. He took one last glance up at the bright moon above him before touching the root of the tree and sliding into the secret passageway. He almost sighed at the familiarity of it.

Once he reached the shrieking shack, he wasn't surprised to find his three best friends already there waiting for him. Peter had already taken on his other form and was currently running circles around each of the boy's feet. They never let him be alone on nights like this, and he knew he was going to need them the most today depending on whether or not the potion worked. His bones began to feel almost uncomfortable in his body. It was going to begin any minute now.

"We're here, Moony" James reassured the boy, taking his glasses off and setting them aside. Remus only gave him a nervous smile. "See you on the other side" the Lupin murmured, taking off his large coat. "See you, Moons" Sirius smirked, immediately transforming and dropping down to his now black fur covered paws. James sent the werewolf a wink before following in his best friend's footsteps. His large antlers took up a third of the room.

Remus took a deep breath, his chest swelling with heat. It was finally time. Before his own transformation could even begin, though, another person pushed through the door. His head snapped to side, stomach dropping at the sight of Lyra. She wasn't meant to be here. He could hurt her. He felt his chest slowly cave in. It was too late. Remus's head began to enlarge, his bones cracking and shifting as his spine unraveled.

The stag was quick to push the transforming werewolf out of the way, as gently as he could of course, but stood in front of Lyra protectively. The girl watched as a black dog followed the larger animal's actions, a rat sitting on its back.

Remus was internally clawing at himself. His body felt like it was on fire which was normal, but this time it was almost intensified in a way. The werewolf stood before them, howling into the air as he set his sights on the only other living things in the room. Just as he took one step to charge at them, he stopped. There was no underlying need of bloodlust nor anger residing within him. No urge to attack. Remus was Remus. Or at least, it felt like it.

He glanced down at himself slowly, taking in his fully transformed appearance. Peter jumped off of Sirius' back, running towards his friend as he settled near his foot. He was overjoyed to see that the potion had worked. James wasted no time before shifting back. He immediately stood up to his full height, his eyes full of anger, confusion, but overall relief.

"What in the bloody hell are you doing here!?" he shouted, Lyra almost taken aback by his volume. She wasn't used to hearing him yell at her. She had expected a reaction like this, however. "I came to make sure Remus was alright" the girl replied, keeping her tone even. She didn't want to fight with him. "You could've gotten hurt!" James continued, aggressively putting his glasses back on. "What if the potion hadn't worked, huh? Remus could have killed you. He could have killed our-"