Chapter 1

A middle aged man dressed in a suit and tie walked up to the podium on an elevated stage. He straightened his papers as he looked out into the crowd of awaiting students and the trees in the far off distance. The man hated the introduction ceremony, for almost every year he would mess up his speech. He was now regretting not writing out his speech in full. All he had with him were the key notes that he needed to touch upon during his speech. Other than that, he was going into this completely unprepared.

He looked over to his secretary, who was etching him to begin. So he took a deep breath of the fresh outdoor air, put on his best smile, and began.

"Good morning everyone. Welcome to Raí Academy, the finest school in all of Trabachi. I am the principal, Mr. Wilberry. Now I assume that most of you know exactly what this school is about." Mr. Wilberry was relieved to see a few nods among the students. At least his speech wasn't boring them yet. "But I know there are a few that aren't sure where they even are. Allow me to explain. Right now, you are all in Trabachi, a place that is unlike anything you thought was possible on Earth. For starters, everyone here has a special ability. And no, I am not talking about something as minor as being good at a sport." A few students seemed to chuckle at that joke. "I am talking about a real ability. If you are here today, that means you have some kind of ability, even if you weren't born here in Trabachi. It is our goal not only to help students discover their abilities, but to train them to use these abilities so that they may be helpful to us in the future."

Mr. Wilberry paused and observed the crowd, they all seemed to be giving him their undivided attention, which was very helpful.

He smiled and waved on two senior students, one boy and one girl.

"And now two of our seniors will demonstrate their own abilities that they have learned while at our school."

Mr. Wilberry quickly ran off the stage and the pair replaced him.

They faced each other, and then backed up until they stood about 10 feet apart.

The boy was the first to make a move. He stretched out his arm. A long, black rope shot out of it and headed straight for the girl. It coiled around the girl's waist, still attached to the boy's palm. He used the coil to lift his partner up about 7 feet, and then returned her to the ground gently.

Now it was her turn. She clapped her hands together as if in prayer and muttered something no one could hear. Her body began to glow as her physical appearance started to change. Her arms fell to her sides and melted into her body. Skin was being replaced by brown scales. Her eyes stretched to the sides of her face as her jaw extended and fangs appeared.

When the transformation was complete, the girl had become a giant snake. She slithered over to the boy and climbed up his body to his outstretched arm. She slid off and transformed back into her human form.

Seeing as the performance was done, the crowd roared into applause. The pair delightfully bowed to their audience and left the stage.

Mr. Wilberry walked back to the podium. "Thank you Annie and Peter! Great job you two," he said cheerfully. He once again straightened his papers. Then he took a deep breath.

"All students are required to carry Student IDs. These are special cards that help you determine your own class rank. The way to gain or lose Class Rank Points, or CR, will be explained in your gym classes. Now if you can all get up in an orderly fashion," he began.

One of the teachers shouted over to him. She mouthed something to him, and Mr. Wilberry blushed in embarrassment. Once again, he had forgotten to include something in his speech.