Chapter 37

Everyone decided that Daniel should keep the trophy, since he was the mastermind behind their plans.  Toby greeted them briefly, showing them a happy old man, and danced around to their victory.  Then he left, leaving them with Rio to walk around town.

            “I think I should go show my Dad this trophy.” Daniel said without taking his eyes off of it.

            “I will come with you Daniel,” Riley said joining him.

            “What should we do?” Luke called out to him.

            Daniel turned around; Riley already hooked to his arm.  He pointed to the water.

            “Go to the beach!  There is a pier there with rides and stuff.  We will meet up with you when we are done.”

            Then Daniel turned and walked away.

            “This is amazing!” Rio exclaimed, letting his child-side become exposed.  The pier was huge, and there were a ton of rides to go on and games to play.

            Maya saw the opportunity and jumped on it.

            “Yeah!  Let’s go ride on some rides!” she said happily.  “You are going to love this stuff Rio!”

            The two wasted no time ditching Luke and Cerce and dashing off out of sigh.

            Maya’s voice came ringing in through both of their ears.

            “Good luck!”

            “So,” Luke sighed as he put his hands in his pockets.  “What do you want to do?”

            Cerce didn’t look at him.  Her mind seemed to be elsewhere.

            “Cerce?”

            Cerce snapped out of her trance, seemingly embarrassed from whatever fantasy she was having.  “What is it Luke?” she said surprised.

            “Are you okay?  You were spacing out there.”

            Cerce nodded.  “I was just thinking about some things, it isn’t anything to worry about.”

            “Are you sure?  If there is something troubling you, you can tell me about it.”

            There was a pause before Cerce spoke again.  She face started to get red again.

            “Why did you save me yesterday?  When Toby was going to slash at me, you stopped him.” she said shyly.

            “Why wouldn’t I?”

            “But you were mad at me.  I thought you hated me, yet you saved me.”

            Luke sighed.  “Come on Cerce, you know that I could never come to hate you, no matter how many arguments we get into.”

            That seemed to cheer Cerce up.  She once again smiled at him.

            “Why don’t we go shopping?  I think there are clothing stores here,” she said with a smile.

            Luke groaned but didn’t complain as he followed her to a beachside store.