Chapter 45

After about an hour of walking around and having fun, Daniel and Riley returned to the ballroom.

            Maya and Rio were the first to approach them.

            "Riley!  Your parents throw the best parties!" Maya said giggling along with Rio.

            Riley once again retained her normal silence around other people, although a slight facial expression let Maya know that she agreed.

            "You should see this place at New Year's." Daniel commented.  "It is absolutely insane."

            Then the group noticed Cerce wobbling over to them with Luke draped over her.  Luke was leaning on her shoulder with his eyes closed.  They had been dancing for a few hours now.  It seemed that Luke had finally used up all the energy he gained from the Dingo drink, and now he had nothing left.

            "Isn't this a funny scene?"  Daniel said bursting into laughter.

            Luke began to slip, and Cerce adjusted him again.

            "I am taking him to bed."

            "You can take him up to one of the guest rooms in the castle," Riley said to her.

            "Thank you.  He really is such a pain." Cerce sighed.

            "You really do love him don't you," Daniel said.  Cerce blushed but didn't answer.  She put Luke down on a chair while she rested for a moment.  His head fell gently onto the table.

            Daniel stared off into the distance.  "You know, the first time I met Luke, he said something pretty interesting."

            "What was that?"

            "He told me a story.  It was a story about a girl he knew from back home.  This girl was his best friend.  And when this girl disappeared, he would visit her house everyday just in case she ever returned."  He turned to Cerce.  "I have no doubt that girl in his story that he cared so much for was you, Cerce."

            Cerce blushed again.  "He really said that?  He really came to my house every day?"

            Maya put her hand on Cerce's shoulder and nodded.

            "At first I wasn't sure," Daniel continued "But it is clear that he really cares about you."

            Cerce had a hard time believing all this.  She knew Luke was kind to her, but she had always thought her love had been one-sided.  She picked up Luke.

            "I am just going to take him to bed now," she said awkwardly.

            By the time Cerce got Luke to his room, he had started to wake up a little.

            "Come stay with me," Luke muttered.  "Don't leave until I fall asleep.  I feel sick."

            Cerce agreed with a smile.  She tucked him into his bed and pulled up a chair next to it, along with a garbage bin.  She too was beginning to feel weary, but it looked like Luke would fall asleep at any second now.

            Cerce awoke with a startle.  The morning sun slipped through the curtains.  She was not in her bed, nor was she in her own room.  She was still in the chair next to Luke's bed.

            "I must have fallen asleep here," Cerce mumbled to herself.  She glanced at Luke.

            The light from the curtains bounced off Luke's light brown hair in a beautiful way.  He looked so peaceful.  Cerce blushed, realizing that she had never really seen Luke sleeping before.

            Cerce couldn't help herself.  She wanted a closer look at his face.  Cerce carefully climbed up onto the bed and crawled up to him.  Once she saw his face up close, Cerce couldn't stop herself from admiring him.  Luke looked really cute when he was sleeping.

            "You know, you shouldn't make a habit of watching people while they sleep.  It is kind of creepy," A voice said.

            Cerce shrieked and jumping off the bed.  She lost her balance standing up and hit the floor.

            Luke burst into laughter.

            Cerce turned over to look at her knee which looked cut from hitting the floor.  "Don't startle me like that!" she yelled.  "Why were you pretending to sleep?"

            "Why were you watching me?" Luke countered.  He raised an eyebrow, waiting for her response.  Cerce just blushed and held her knee.

            Luke sighed and got out of bed.  "Let me see it."  He said.  He pushed Cerce's hands out of the way and examined the injury.  "Hmm," He paused, then gave her a smile.  "It is just a little scrape."

            "But it hurts."

            Luke rolled his eyes.  "You will survive." Then he offered his hand for her.  "Come on.  Get up now."

            Cerce grabbed his hand and he pulled her to her feet.  Only Luke overestimated her weight, and Cerce flew into his arms.  Their faces were so close together that their noses were touching.

            Neither of them could move.  They just stared at each other.  The world around them seemed to go into a blur.

            Until the door flew open, and Maya jumped into the room.  "Hey Luke!" Maya shouted.  "The King wants to..." Maya drifted off as she took notice of what was happening.

            Luke and Cerce both turned bright red and jumped away from each other.

            "I'm sorry!  I didn't mean to interrupt you guys!" Maya apologized.

            "It wasn't anything!" Luke cried.

            "We weren't doing anything Maya!" Cerce agreed.

            Maya rolled her eyes.  It would take years before these two would admit to their feelings.  Trying to argue was merely a waste of time.  "Anyway," Her voice became urgent.  "The King wants to see us all.  He says it is important.  Hurry up and get to the throne room."

            Cerce nodded and followed Maya out the door.  As she walked out, Cerce turned and gave a shy glance towards Luke.