Chapter 48

When he walked into school the next day, Daniel was expecting stares because of his fight the day before.  Much to his surprise however, no one paid any attention to him or the rest of his friends.

            "It seems everyone has forgotten about your fight with Darren."  Cerce observed.

            "They are all talking about the same thing." Maya said.  She narrowed her eyes and searched the minds of a group of girls.  "Apparently, there was a robbery last night." Maya reported.  Then her eyes widened.  "One of the police officers was murdered.  They couldn't even see the robber at all."

            Luke glanced at everyone.  "You don't think..."

            Daniel nodded.  "It is a possibility.  We need to check his eyes.  Remember, green eyes means he is a Pawn."

            "But what if his eyes are a different color?"  Cerce asked.

            "Then he is just really fast," Daniel said.

            There was a long pause.

            Daniel spoke up.  "During free period, we are going to split up.  We need to make new friends.  This will help us cover more ground faster.  Spread out and look find out if anyone has been acting suspicious lately."

            When free period came around, Luke was completely left in the dust.  Daniel started talking to a crowd of football players.  He barely knew enough about the sport to hold a conversation with them, but they accepted him, and his girlfriend who refused to leave his side.  Maya and Cerce went over and made fast friends with some girls from their Home Ec. class.  They all disappeared, heading off in different directions without Luke.

            Luke sighed.  He knew he wouldn't be able to make friends so easily.  He was too shy around strangers.  So Luke decided to take a break and headed to the library.  He wanted to look up books on fire to see if he could expand his abilities somehow.

            The library was completely quiet; it was perfect.  Luke grabbed three books that looked interesting and took a seat at a table.

            After a few minutes, a girl walked into the library.  She immediately sat down and started reading a book.  Then she noticed Luke watching her.  She stood up and walked over.

            "Hi, do you mind if I sit here?" she said kindly.  Luke nodded, and she sat down.

            Luke recognized the girl from one of his classes, though he couldn't remember what her name was.  He flashed her a smile and got back to his book.

            "You are in my class right?  You are one of the new kids that came in with four other people," she said brightly.

            Luke nodded.

            "I moved here two months ago.  I know what it feels like to be a new student."

            Luke was confused for a moment, but then he remembered that Trabachian school started at a different time than Earth school.

            "My name is Brooke.  Do you like books?" she girl smiled.

            "My name is Luke," he responded, doing his best to smile back.

            Brooke looked around.  "Where are your friends?"

            Luke sighed and rested his head on his palm.  "We split up for today.  Daniel says it is important to make new friends."