Chapter 58

Luke awoke with a startle.  He had no idea what time it was.  It must have been the next day, since it was light out again.

            Luke cleaned out his ear.  Rain from last night caused mud to gather in his hair and ears.  He felt terrible.  His body was aching all over.

            He looked around.  He was sitting in the middle of the woods.  No one else was around him.  He couldn't remember why his head was in so much pain.  Luke felt his forehead.  There was a giant bump that he could feel throbbing.

            "What happened?" Luke said as his voice cracked.  His throat was completely dry and it hurt to swallow.  Luke tried standing up.  He felt very weak.

            He chuckled weakly.  "I have never been beaten up this bad before." He leaned against a tree to hold himself upright.  A shiny object caught his eye.  He stumbled over to it to find that it was the Triblade.

            Everything that happened the previous night came rushing back to him.  They were looking around for the Godkid of Creation and they were attacked by a club wielding giant.  Cerce was knocked out right away, then Maya and Rio were nearly knocked off the side of the cliff.  He tried to help them, but he couldn't use his fire ability and was knocked away.

            The last thing that Luke remembered before passing out was seeing a large blob of water heading toward the enemy, which he assumed to be made by Cerce. 

            Cerce.  He had to find her.  She could be even more hurt than he was.  Slowly finding his balance, Luke made his way back to the cliff area.  He found Cerce leaning against a fallen tree and rushed over to her.

            "Cerce!  Are you okay?" Luke called as he lifted her head.

            Cerce's eyes opened at Luke's touch.  She squinted at the sunlight.

            "Hey Luke," she said dreamily.  "Good morning."

            Luke tried to stay smiling while assessing the damage on her body.

            Cerce took a deep breath.  "Everything hurts."

            "Can you stand?" Luke asked her.  He held out his hand.  Cerce took it and Luke pulled her up.  Cerce wobbled over and Luke barely caught her before she fell.

            "I'm okay." She struggled.  Cerce carefully stood up.

            Then Luke noticed Maya laying face down near the edge of the cliff.

            "What happened yesterday?" Cerce asked faintly.

            Luke gave her a confused look.  "You didn't regain consciousness and save Maya and Rio?"

            Cerce shook her head.  "I just woke up now."

            May began to stir.  She peered up at her two friends who were looking down at her.

            "Hey guys!" a voice from behind them called out.  Daniel approached them with Riley using him for support.  She seemed like she had an injured leg.

            Daniel looked at Maya, who was still waking up, then looked around.

            "Where is Rio?"

            Everyone turned to Maya, who suddenly started sobbing uncontrollably.

            Maya explained the story that no one else saw.  Rio, the dragon who tried to fly, but was never able to do it.  Rio bravely sacrificed himself to save Maya's life.