Chapter 16

"This school is awesome!" Maya blurted out at lunchtime. "Only at Raí Academy could you be allowed to eat up on the roof with this fantastic view!"

"Calm down Maya. Other schools allow this. It isn't just this one." Luke told her.

Maya glared at him. Then something caught her eye. Or rather, she remembered something that made her look at him.

"I wonder..." She said staring intensely.

"What is it?" Daniel asked her.

Maya sat up. "I was just wondering, since I can control electricity, if I could read minds. The brain is made of electrical impulses right? I figured maybe I could read those impulses."

She returned to staring at Luke. Shortly after, her yellow eyes widened.

"I did it!"

"That is great Maya!" Cerce said to her.

Maya continued looking at Luke.

"No I won't stop." She muttered.

Luke did his best to ignore her and continued to eat his lunch.

Maya looked out across the field of students below.

"I can see everyone's thoughts down there!" She exclaimed. "This is so weird! My brain is somehow translating it into words I understand!"

Luke continued to eat his lunch.

"Luke? You have a little mustard on your cheek." Cerce told him. She reached over and wiped it off with a napkin.

"Aww!" Maya said right next to them, making them both jump. "I think Cerce looks cute with wavy hair too Luke!"

Luke and Cerce both blushed. Cerce quickly combed her hair with her fingers.

"Is that true Luke?" Cerce asked shyly.

Luke nodded slowly, completely embarrassed.

Cerce smiled to herself.

"Why would you tell her that Maya?" Luke exclaimed.

Maya grinned. "Because it is fun. By the way Cerce?" she turned to her. "I think we should talk about what is swimming through your head right now."

Cerce blushed again, but Luke was outraged.

"So you have no problem blurting out my thoughts but you won't say what Cerce's are?"

"Why? Are you interested?" Maya winked.

That shut Luke up for a while.

"So Maya," Daniel said interrupting them. "The game we were talking about, would you like to play with us?"

Maya nodded. "And we get to go after school?"

"Yep"

"So Maya, why do you tell us the rules, since you just learned them." Toby said to her.

Maya took a deep breath. "Okay, Pentabowa is a sport with two teams, five people per team. On most teams, there are two forwards, two midfielders, and one defender. The object is to collect those little flag things and put them in the goal." Maya scratched her head. "That is about all I understood. I don't get the dying part."

Toby nodded. "Right." He pointed to the semi circles in each corner. "Those are the revive points. When someone dies in the game, they will revive at one of those spots. The best Pentabowa player will have to defeat his opponents and get to the goal before they can revive and get back first. Pentabowa is usually a race to the goal."

Daniel nodded. He couldn't have been more excited about making a team.

"So, let's get to your training." Toby said showing everyone the way.

Daniel and Riley were told to spar with each other. Toby set up a camera to observe them. He said that if their fight was recorded, it would be easier to notice errors that they made.

"Fight with everything you have got. I want to see everything that you guys can do." Toby said as he left them.

Daniel glanced at Riley. She understood immediately. Even if Toby was helping them, the rule is the rule. Never show your full strength to anyone.

Cerce was directed to a space with a bunch of weights.

"I would like to see how strong your telekinesis really is. First, lift up each one, then lift up multiple weights at a time. Don't stop until you are at your absolute limit. This is so that I can make proper battle plans using your abilities." Toby insisted.

Moving on, Toby stopped at Maya's station. Two metal poles stuck out of a small box.

"This box measures electricity. Just grab onto these poles and give it your best shock. Maximum power okay?"

Luke sighed as Maya took her position.

Then Maya's voice filled his head. "So I am not really supposed to give it full power right?"

Luke nodded. He ran up to Toby, who was rambling something to himself.

"So what do I get to do?"

"Well you are the Godkid of Destruction. You are powerful enough as it is. You don't need any of my training. You can just watch okay?" Toby smiled at him.

Luke jaw dropped. He could not believe his ears. Someone had just told him that he wasn't allowed to fight.

"Yeah right! If you don't want to train me, I will train myself!" Luke said stomping over to a corner. He began playing with some of his fire. Moving it around and putting the flames into various shapes and sizes.

Toby walked over to him. "Luke, come back here. If you insist that you need to train, I have a specific fighting style that I want you to learn and use from now on."

Luke nodded, satisfied that he was participating.

Suddenly, the door burst open and Jack barged in. He marched over to Toby and looked him straight in the eye.

"This is your Pentabowa team?"

"Jack? What are you doing here?"

Jack smiled. "I demand that you kick Daniel out and that I replace him. I am her fiancé. It is only right that we should be on the same team."

Everyone stopped and moved towards Toby and Jack.

"You can't just demand something like that." Luke exclaimed.

Jack shot him a look. "How dare you talk to your future King in that tone!"

"Leave." Riley said looking away from him.

Jack turned to Daniel. "I challenge you for your spot on this team. And when I defeat you, you will disappear from Riley's life. You are a nuisance."

Everyone immediately rejected the idea. All except Daniel, who remained silent.

"You have no right!" Luke shouted.

"Forget it." Cerce added.

Finally, Daniel spoke.

"Bring it on."