Chapter 40

It was finally time for the annual Celebration of the Gods. That meant food, rides, and of course, battles. The massive tournament consisted of over two hundred contestants of all ages and many categories, for the young and old. However, Luke's group, ages 18-20, was the only one who could compete for the grand prize; completing the Triblade ceremony with the 'Goddess of Manipulation'. Which this year, was the actual Godkid of Manipulation herself, Cerce. It was an elimination tournament, with only one who would be victorious. Along with completing the ceremony, the winner was given prize money and a special token from the King himself, one of the highest honors in Trabachi.

Luke had been training with Rio and Toby all week. He finally realized how important his fire ability was. Most of his training with Rio had been in private, usually in an open and secluded field so they didn't destroy anything. Toby's training was a bit different. He was very old, and preferred not to leave the school grounds. His training consisted of close combat techniques. Luke didn't really like this training, because Toby was very specific to how he wanted Luke to attack. Luke loved his training with Rio. Rio taught him amazing things that he never thought he could do before. Rio was the only one who understood Luke's power and his full capabilities.

With his new skills, Luke flew through most of the competition with ease, making it all the way to the semifinals. His next opponent surprised him. It was Jack of all people.

"Why are you here?" Luke asked him.

Jack brushed back his hair. "For the fame of course. If I can't be King, I figure I should at least be famous."

"So the only reason you wanted to marry Riley was just so you could be King?" Daniel said as he walked up to them.

Jack seemed baffled by the question. "Why else would you marry a princess?"

Before Daniel could beat him, Luke dragged him back to the girls, who were waiting for them.

Cerce had been gone all morning. She had to prepare for the ceremony and get changed into the ceremonial dress. It was a long process, but she was supposed to be revealed before the championship match.

Rio gave Luke a thumbs up. Riley glanced at Daniel, who was clearly upset at Jack's last comment.

"What is wrong?" she asked him.

Daniel kissed her forehead. "Nothing." Then he turned to Luke. "Kick his ass for me,"

Luke grinned and nodded. The speakers began calling his name. Time for battle.

"I grant approval over death!" the referee shouted. Since they were in an open area, Luke finally noticed the black box actually had a limit.

Jack immediately sent vines at Luke. All of them had sharp tips on their ends.

Seconds before getting stabbed, Luke created a giant fire cyclone, burning the plants to a crisp. Then Luke shaped the cyclone. He shaped the flames into a great dragon, looking similar to Rio in size. This was a technique that Rio had taught him.

The dragon seemed overwhelming to Jack, who took a few steps back. Flame-Rio shot a blast of fire that did some major damage before disappearing.

Jack started attacking Luke again. Luke skillfully dodged each vine. Jack sent a bunch of vines at him, overwhelming Luke's fire. Luke remained calm and leapt into the air. A giant fireball began forming in his hands. It grew larger and larger, now growing over twice the size of Luke himself.

Then everything became a bright white. The impact of the fireball was felt throughout the entire crowd. Another battle was happening simultaneously, but everyone's attention was on Luke.

Jack hacked and wheezed, gasping for air. The results of the match had been decided.

Luke charged and landed a powerful punch right into his face, ending the match.

"Match over. Luke Sky is the winner!" the referee announced. Then someone came over the announcements. "The final battle between Curtis Ledge, and Luke Sky will begin shortly."

Luke glared over at Curtis, who seemed to have finished off his opponent with ease.

Suddenly, everyone's eyes fell upon the stage. This year's Goddess of Manipulation was about to be revealed, and everyone was excited. Cerce slowly approached the stage, revealing herself to everyone. She wore a white dress and her dark green cloak with the golden edges. She had a leaf crown on her head, making her seem even more stunning and heavenly.

Cerce scanned the crowd quickly to find Luke. She gave him a warm smile. Luke felt a strange feeling in his chest. His body almost seemed to gravitate towards her.

"I have a proposition for you Luke," Curtis said, snapping Luke out of his trance.

Luke looked at him, wondering what kind of deal someone like him could make.

"Whoever wins our next battle," he paused, grinning. "Gets a kiss from Cerce,"

"What?" Luke said surprised.

Curtis nodded. "That is the prize for winning. Good luck," he said and walked away.

Luke felt his blood boil.

"I HATE that guy!" he growled.