Chapter 12

During dinner, I can't help but day-dream between short, sweet conversations with those around me. Of course Aurora has placed herself beside me, giggling and blushing like the girl I met earlier no longer exists. "Oh, Brigette, you have to tell me more about your family. Do you have any siblings?" She asks, poking at her food and brushing the hair from her shoulders.

I turn to her and shrug. "No. It's just me. How about yourself—any brothers or sisters?"

As Aurora drones on about her older sisters, my eyes wander back to my right, to David as he sits at the head of the table. I cross my ankles under the table to stop myself from bumping his foot with mine. Being surrounded by such people makes me yearn for his attention. It is strange, but I can't help it; I want everyone to see how much he adores me, or rather, how much he appears to adore me.

"Brigette," Alpha Nicodra beckons from across the table, "might you entertain me for a moment? I hear that you want to travel the world, is that true?"

For the first time tonight, I'm caught off guard. "Oh, well," I mutter, glancing to David, "I've thought about it, yes. But that was mostly before I became Luna. Things are a little more complicated now."

"Maybe someday, then. I must say that nothing is better for the soul than travel. I'll have to tell you about my own adventures; I've been everywhere you could think of."

Aurora butts-in and says, "You do have some interesting stories, don't you? Anyway, I think the world would suit you well, Brigette. You're wise for your age."

"Glad you think so."

Once the dinner plates are cleared, there is a moment of rest before the desserts are brought out. I excuse myself, making up an excuse to have a breather away from the guests. I head into the kitchen and watch at the counter as one course is cleaned up and another is prepared. Helena asks if I'm alright, and I wave her off, assuring her I'm just fine. "If anyone needs a break, it's you," I tell her. "Take the day tomorrow. David and I can manage on our own."

Before she can argue, her attention is stolen by her Alpha. David comes into the kitchen, and when his eyes find me, he seems to settle. "Can you make it to the finish line?" He asks as he comes over.

"Yeah, of course. I just needed a minute."

He sighs then nods to the hallway. He wants to talk alone, away from any possible eavesdroppers—and when you're an Alpha and Luna, everyone tends to be. I give Helena a reassuring touch on her shoulder then follow him out. My fingers fiddled with each other at my sides. What if I've done something wrong? I thought I was playing the game pretty safe, and I kept my distance from Alpha Nicodra as he asked.

David turns to me. He looks at me and I wait for him to say something. After a few seconds, I start to think that he has no argument or criticism ready to go. The more time that passes, the more nervous I become. I stare at him with judgment on my face, yet it isn't for anyone but myself. I knew acting like this would only lead to further temptations. It isn't possible to pretend to be so close without wishing we truly are, especially when my costar is someone like him.

"Is everything okay?" I ask, breaking the silence. Something about his gaze makes my chest grow tight.

"Is he making you uncomfortable?"

"Who?"

"Nicodra," David clarifies.

"He surprised me a little with that question, that's all. It's nothing I can't handle. He's just a man."

David peers to the end of the hall, checking for any curious snoopers. "They leave tomorrow morning. You won't have to worry about them bothering you anymore. These visits only happen once a year or so."