Chapter 37

"Are you sure you can find your way? I can walk you back."

"No, no," my mother says, "we remember the way. Don't worry. We'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

"Breakfast will be brought over at seven. I know you two get up early."

My mom strokes my cheek and says goodnight. I close and lock the door behind them, knowing that my mother and I aren't the same as we used to be. There's no need to fight anymore. She won't be knocking on my door, telling me to wake up, or egging me on about traveling to find my mate. She won't have to ignore my rants about being free, and so we'll enter the next stage; the one where I listen when she speaks.

David enters the foyer to bring me upstairs, and I go with him. He stays close behind as I climb the steps as if I might slip and fall and give him a reason to save me. He seems to get closer and closer until I open the bedroom doors and face him. Before I can question him about his impatience, he grabs me and kisses me hard. My heart slams forward and my core churns. His desire, his urge to ravish me, feeds the impending need building within me. I move my mouth with his and feel the ever-so-familiar yearning spike. His hands roam as they struggle to settle in one place, and he kisses me deeper, pushing, making me as restless as him. He breaks away just to hurriedly take off my shirt, but before he can kiss me again, his phone starts to buzz.

David swipes it from his pocket-I think it might bust in his grip-and he answers, his tone reflecting the same frustration as he says, "What?"

I soothingly trace my palm along his abdomen, up to his chest as I press into the side of his body.

"Are you sure?" He asks then promptly sighs. "Okay. Give me a minute. I'll check it out."

He hangs up and the first thing I ask is, "Do you have to go?"

David, aggravated, says, "I'll be back. It's my father; he crossed the borders."

"What? Why?"

Off the top of my head, the only reason Ken would be crossing the borders at such a time would be to escape, or maybe that's just my run-away mind doing the majority of my thinking. Nonetheless, his father just came back into his life, and the thought of him leaving so soon without even a proper goodbye breaks my heart.

"I know why. I just have to go get him."

Surprised, I question, "You do?"

"He's not going far, but I should grab him, remind him that he's not a nomad anymore. Things like to hang around our borders, and the last thing I need is him getting hurt."

I touch his arm, intrigued. "Let me come with you."

"It's dark, Brigette. I wouldn't even want you crossing the borders during the day."

"But I'll be with you," I say. "So I'll be safe."

He caresses my cheek, rubbing his thumb across my skin. I place my hand over his then bend down to grab my shirt, getting it on with hopes that he'll let me tag along.

"You're not going to take no for an answer, are you?"

"No. I'm not."

David glances to the side and says, "Alright. Come on."

We make this quick-no shifting, in and out. We leave through the back door and head right into the forest not spending an extra minute out here if David can make sure of it.

"He used to go to this lookout before he left; it's somewhere he used to go with my mother," David explains. "I believe he went there whenever he was missing her."