Chapter 1

WARNING: you may find newer works of mine less cringe and problematic than this story. Please consider checking them out instead! :)

Part 1

I'm from a lost place. A place that seems to be nothing more than a small mountain town, nestled in the forest and kept from the world. People don't come around here, and that's how we like it. We are free to be ourselves that way.

I grew up in the trees. We have our houses and stores and parks and other things that humans have grown accustomed to, but we spend most of our time outside, in the breeze and under the stars. That's one thing I'll regret leaving behind—the magic of the mountain night sky. My mother says that in the cities you can't see a thing, only darkness.

But sometimes even the mountain night sky doesn't show enough. I want to see everything. Every star and planet and galaxy—everything that may or may not be—but I had to give up on that dream as I grew up. So I'll settle for the world. I'll hike every mountain range and walk along every beach; I'll get lost in towering cities and lay in flowering fields on rolling hills. I want the freedoms that a human girl my age would have.

My world, well, it has many ways of tying one down.

My mother ignores me when I talk about traveling and adventuring. She says true happiness is in the family—the pack.

She says a lot of things regarding the way I should live my life. My father doesn't say so much. He knows of my ambitions but is far too busy with his position to waste precious family time arguing. As our Alpha's Beta, he's gone early in the morning and doesn't get back till late at night. I thought that maybe it bothered my mother as much as it bothers me, but she's proud to be mated to a Beta.

She only hopes that I get so lucky.

"But if my mate is a Beta, I'll have to leave for—for forever," I counter.

My mother sits down at the table after preparing our dinner. She looks over her plate and picks up her fork. "You're right. I had to leave my pack for months, traveling around just to find my mate with the other girls of age, just as you'll have to now that we know your mate isn't here. Now, maybe if your father wasn't so important we could move to your mate's pack, but, well, things are how they are."

I poke around at my food and say, "You know I'm not doing that."

"Don't, Brigette. Don't start."

I swipe the long, black strands of hair from my face and sit back. My mother tries to ignore me, but she steals glances at my defiance. "I just think it's a waste. Going from pack to pack, possibly across the world just to see if some random guy is my mate. All of these beautiful places, but those girls don't see any of it. I don't even want—"

The sound of her fork hitting her plate cuts me off. She takes a breath. I close my lips, knowing that pushing her buttons won't get me anywhere.

"Where's Dad?" I ask. It's best to change the subject before she goes on a tangent about mates and how much they matter to us.

"You know where he is. I'm sure he'll come home as soon as he can."

It isn't until we've both finished eating that I hear the front door open. I glance to my mother from the table. She's cleaning up in the kitchen, but she stops and calls, "Dale?"

Dad appears from around the corner, his chest sinking as air pours out of him. He's tired—long day—but he always manages to come over and kiss the top of my head.

"I'll heat up your plate," Mom says.

He pulls out the chair beside me and sits down. "What took so long?" I ask.