Chapter 27

"I'm not leaving," I protest.

"Get your things together. We're flying back tonight."

"I'm not leaving, David. I mean it. I'm not done."

"I don't care," he says, looking from our bags for a moment between his frantic packing. "I knew this would happen. I knew I shouldn't have let you come."

I sigh and sit on the edge of the bed, watching him. "They're making Nicodra leave—you saw what happened. He's probably already gone."

"I don't care."

"I'm not leaving."

"Yes," he says louder and shoots upright, "you are. Look what he did." He motions to my neck. "What he could have done," he mutters.

"He said he wouldn't kill me," I tell him. "Well, maybe he would now, but he's being expelled from this meeting, and if he wants to attend the next one, he'll apologize, not hunt me."

David throws down a piece of clothing and runs a hand through his hair. "Please, Brigette, just let me take you home."

"I can't go yet," I say gently as he comes over. "I need to talk to Bonny and the other Lunas tomorrow morning. It's important. And besides, who knows what we'll miss during discussions if we leave now."

"Right now, my only concern is your safety."

"I am safe," I exaggerate.

"Look at your neck, Brigette!"

"I know! Okay? I know." I breathe, "But it really isn't that bad."

He frowns, hard. "Don't look at me like that and lie to me."

"Nicodra is gone—you made sure of it—and that's all that matters. He and his plans are gone. He can't keep campaigning, and with an open spot in the discussion topics, we can introduce something new. I think we can make a real difference—something that matters to people."

"You planned this, then?" He questions, straight-faced. "You wanted Nicodra to act up and get thrown out?"

"I can make this bruise worth it."

David's chest rises and falls before he looks away.

I stand and grab his hand. He doesn't have the cruelty to jerk away. "Bonny and Aurora gave me this idea—that the Lunas want to change how leadership transfers in the family. They want women of Alpha blood to be able to hold the Alpha position. They talk about it in their little club. If I can go there tomorrow morning and talk to them before the first meeting, then maybe—"

"How long have you been considering this?"

I shrug. "I thought about it after Nicodra was an ass at lunch. He deserves to have his selfish ideas smothered, and what better to replace them than something he would surely hate? He's a sexist pig."

David pauses for a moment, thinking. "Goddess-sake, Brigette," he sighs. "You're trying to change a structure that's been followed since our beginning. It's not as simple as you think."

"I know. But with the Lunas on my side, what will their mates do? Refuse them and leave with angry women? Plus, packs are dying—this could possibly save plenty. It's painfully reasonable. At least let me try."

His fingers brush the blooming bruise along my throat, a mark of a hand. "I don't want you putting yourself at risk. I don't want you playing games, Brigette, because they rarely end the way you hope them to."

"From now on, I'll be good, just please don't let this go to waste. Don't make me leave. This is for all our women, for your mother, for me."