Chapter 9

"Look who's here," Helena announces when she hears David enter the house.

I lift my head from the counter and drop the cloth from my forehead. She takes the cooled thing from me then peers into the hallway. "We are in here," she calls to him.

I bite my lip and dread the second he appears in the archway. I don't know what he's thinking after last night, and if Helena weren't here cooking me dinner, I would be safe in my bedroom. I'm sure the last thing he wants is to come home after a long day just to hear about my headache. How could my head hurt? All I've done is wake up and listen to Jeremy talk.

Helena comes back in with David just behind her. She points to me and says, "Brigette isn't feeling well, aren't you? It's her head."

If I could, I would jump into the pit that's forming in my gut.

"Oh, it's actually not so bad anymore," I lie and struggle to look at him. "I'm sure I'll be just fine. Nothing to worry about."

"She's been lying there for thirty minutes," Helena tells him. "I told her to rest but she's too hungry to sleep."

My mouth opens but David speaks first, asking, "Is that right?"

"Stubborn one, this one. Why doesn't she sleep well? Look at her, she's exhausted."

David comes around the counter as I say, "You know, Helena, it might be genetic. I have a family of terrible sleepers; paralysis, apnea, insomnia, sleepwalking—the whole nine yards."

"Where does it hurt?" David asks as he stands behind me.

I turn in my seat and peer up at him. "I'm fine, really."

"Well, I best be going. Everything is ready, so please help yourselves. For once nothing is going in the fridge," Helena ponders as she prepares to leave. David walks her out, and while I'm alone in the room, I look over the meal she's made.

When he comes back, we serve ourselves and sit in the dining room, and once again I'm under the pretty chandelier. My eyes are down this time, consumed by my plate.

"So you canceled my self-defense lesson."

David nods. "I did. I moved it to next week, after Alpha Nicodra's visit."

"Why?" I ask. "I was fine to do it today."

"After last night, I thought you would want some extra time to rest."

I sit back in my seat and set my fork down. "About last night, you know, I was just sleep-deprived, that's all. I slept, so don't worry about me needing extra time."

David sets down his utensils as well, but just before he speaks, I say, "We don't have to talk about it. We can just pretend like it never happened."

"I don't agree," he says, his elbows on the table and hands clasped together. My gaze lingers on his hands. "I need you to explain to me why you need to distance yourself, why you don't want a mate."

My shoulders drop. "And if I can't?"

"If you can't provide a plausible reason, then I think we have some things to work on."

I smile a little to myself, a sad little smile. "A plausible reason, huh?" I take a breath and look to the side. "You're a good man, David, really. I see why you're an Alpha now.

"You're good at these things. Obviously neither of us have had a mate before, but you seem to have experience with this," I ramble. "And I feel bad. I feel this overwhelming want for you to be happy, but all I do is waste your time. I screwed you over, or hey, maybe the goddess did. Either way, you're the victim here."