Chapter 10

I used to ask my mother how much paint we can layer on the walls of a room before the room starts to shrink. I thought that if we kept changing our minds, if we kept putting on new colors, then eventually we would have no room to move or—or breathe.

In the shower, before my stylist arrives, I think I'm going to be sick. I bend over and face the stone floor with my hands on my knees, taking deep breaths to calm the riot in my stomach. It's anxiety. The last thing I want is to be at a table with David, a Luna, and an Alpha that appears to rule a pack from the underworld.

I wonder if this is what David did at my old pack. Did he have dinner with my Alpha and Luna? Did he run the border and have meetings and—I know he attended a dinner party. When did he start to feel me? When was I close enough to trigger something inside of him? What did he think when he saw me standing there with my Luna? Was I truly what he's been waiting for? When I first saw him, I thought that he was the most handsome man I've ever seen. I thought that Alpha blood really must have something special to it to create such a being.

Even though I told myself not to, I admired him as he spoke to me in my Alpha's office. He looked as if he could end any competitor in a matter of seconds. He looked dangerous, and I wanted so badly to believe that I would be the one exception to his wrath. I wanted to believe that no matter what I did, he could never hurt me.

I shut the shower off and dry myself in time for the stylist to fix me. When she arrives, my job is simple. I sit in the seat at the vanity I haven't touched and watch as she blow-dries and rolls and lifts. She adds small touches to my face, little dusts of color and darkness to my eyes—places that threaten to bleed the black product everywhere, knowing my track record these past few days. And when she's done, I stare at myself.

"Is it alright?" She asks, nervous.

"Oh, yes. It's beautiful, thank you. You'll have to come back tomorrow. I have to be all pretty then too."

After she leaves, I slip on the black dress I chose earlier. It wraps around me and ties at the side of my waist. Something about it makes me feel like a proper woman. As I examine myself, I think it may be the sleeves or the respectful hemline, or most likely the pointed neckline that is harsh in shape but shows such delicate parts. I know Jeremy didn't want me to get a black dress. Paired with my hair, I risk appearing somewhat gothic, so I secure a necklace my mother gave me around my neck. It's a simple necklace with a small, blue gemstone pendant.

My mother would love to see me like this. She must have wanted to do this to me for all those years, but I suppose I am only willing to cave for David. I could never speak to him again, and I would still make the smallest decisions with him in mind. That is the power he has over me—the power that terrifies me.

I jump slightly when a knock comes to my door. It's the alarm. He knows. "Come in," I call and create distance between me and the mirror.

The door pushes open and David peers through. I try to look busy by fetching my shoes, and I glance to him as I do so. "Are they here?" I ask and sit on the bed. My hands secure each heel on each foot as I wait for him to speak. I've been waiting to hear his voice for what feels like days.

"No, not yet," he says. "I came to see if you're ready."

I stand. "I am. Unless you think—"

"You look perfect, Brigette. Now come on."

"Is everything alright?" I ask as we head downstairs together.

"I need you to be careful tonight, okay? Alpha Nicodra can be unpredictable, and the relationship between our packs has always been, well, fragile."