Chapter 5

I set the table as my mother finishes up dinner. She chats on and on about the things I've packed—clothes, necessities, and other small belongings—as I set out plates and cutlery. Dad is sitting at the end of the table reading some papers, for once home on time for dinner. Of course, it has to be my last dinner. "Oh, set out five plates, Brigie," my mother calls. "I invited Lindsey. I thought you would want to spend some time with her before you leave tomorrow. You have plenty to catch her up on."

"Like how I'm leaving the pack? She'll love that," I say to myself.

My dad peers up from his papers and sighs. "I know this is a big change, but it will be good for you," he says. "A new scenery and new people might be nice."

"It will be very nice," mom adds.

"Is it because he's an Alpha? Is that why you two are fine with all of this? You both know I don't want to go," I argue, and before my mother can say it, I continue for her, "and I know, you came here for Dad, you had to sacrifice, but maybe I'm not willing to do that. At least you liked Dad."

"You don't like David?" My father asks. "I must say that's rather strange."

"Of course she likes him, Dale. He's her mate. She's just being difficult because she would rather run around the world than be a Luna."

I set down the extra plate for Lindsey then cross my arms. "You're right. I don't want to be a Luna. I don't want to go to his pack. I don't want David. I don't want a mate. And I don't want to be forced to do things I don't want to do."

"Brigette," my dad starts, but I talk over him.

"No, it's not fair. He can't just make me go with him because I just happen to be his mate. My entire life is changing while all he has to do is bring me back with him like a new puppy. It's not fair."

"Do you feel it at all?" My mother asks. "The bond. Don't you feel it?"

I shrug. "What does it matter whether I feel the bond or not?"

Dad says, "Just answer your mother."

"Fine. Sure, I feel it. I know he's my mate."

"Then why are you doing this? When I met your father I would have gone to the end of the world for him, and I'm sure he would have done the same. So what's the matter with you? You sure don't sound like you have the mate bond."

I look to my Dad but he seems just as confused as my mother. "Because I don't want this," I clarify.

"So it's on purpose?"

"I don't know," I exaggerate. "Maybe."

Her shoulders drop. "Well can't you just give him a chance? Can't you just see where it goes? Doesn't he at least deserve that?"

"Maybe your mother's right. You just met him yesterday. How about you relax a little and let whatever happens happen."

Before I can counter, a knock sounds against the front door. "That's Lindsey," my mother says. "Let her in, Brigie. I'm bringing the food over now."

We have an alright dinner, considering. My mother enjoys herself while telling Lindsey all about how I have a mate now. My best friend's eyes continually shoot to me, yet all I give her is a shrug to confirm that my mother's words are true. The words Alpha, and leaving, and stubborn are thrown around, but I being to lose focus.

"Maybe you can talk some sense into her," my mother tells Lindsey.

Once we finish eating, I drag Lindsey up to my bedroom so we can actually discuss all that's happened to me in the last twenty-four hours, but the second I close my door, she says, "You are so lucky, Brigette. I can't believe this. You're going to be a Luna!"