Chapter 15

After Helena and I finish cooking dinner, I find privacy in my bedroom instead of waiting for David and eating with him. I plan to call Lindsey tomorrow to ask her about visiting, which should give me enough time to check in with David about it. I'm sure he could care less, seeing that he has much more going on these days. Jeremy found out that other Alphas in the region are calling for change, and for the change of what, we are unsure. It seems to be a very contained issue for the time being. I feel bad that David has to take on another problem, but I feel there is nothing I could do to better the situation. Like most things, it is out of my hands.

I get myself ready for bed earlier than usual. As spring begins to fade into summer, the nights aren't so cold, and I abandon my heavy pajamas for lighter ones. Before showing more skin didn't faze me, but now there is more to consider. I run my hands down my bare arms and adjust the length of my shorts. David isn't even home and yet I feel the heat of his gaze already.

He gets back as I am sitting on my bed replying to a lengthy message from my mother—a simple update regarding what's been going on in my parents' lives. A leaking pipe in the kitchen, a picture of a basket of muffins gifted to her by a friend, nothing concerning. I left the bedroom door halfway open, and as expected, David comes in. He takes in my appearance with anticipated discretion before asking, "Have you eaten already?"

"I'm not hungry."

Disregarding my response, he says, "Come on. Let's have dinner."

"I just said—"

"I know what you said, and I don't believe you, so let's go."

I take a breath and set down my phone. As I climb off the bed, I mock, "Of course, Alpha."

He follows me downstairs and makes my plate as I sit at the table. I can tell he's used up every last bit of his patience today, and of course I'm left to endure his grumpiness, which doesn't pair well with my own.

He sets down the plate in front of me—with far too much food on it—and gives me a fork. I take it and sigh, feeling like the last thing I want to do is eat. He sits down adjacent to me with his own plate. Taking advantage of the timing, I say, "My friend Lindsey is coming to visit."

"When?"

"I don't know. Jeremy said that she can come within the next two weeks."

David shrugs. "That's fine."

"This is too much food."

"Then eat what you can."

"What's going on?" I ask.

He glances at me. "Nothing you have to worry about. Everything is going to be fine."

"Jeremy said some Alphas want—"

"It will die out like everything else they call for."

My breathing grows shallow as I try to contain myself. I say, "You're acting differently."

"I'm busy."

"You're distant," I accuse. "There's a difference."

David sets down his fork and breathes in. "I'm sorry, Brigette, I just don't have time—"

"For me?"

"That's not what I was going to say."

"I was trying," I admit. "I was really trying, but you being this way—it's not encouraging, David. I feel like an idiot. You can be as cold as you want during the day, but this time is supposed to be for us, and if we're both freezing each other out, it not going to work."