Chapter 48

"I think it's done."

I lift my eyes from my computer screen to look at both Bonny and Jeremy as they sit at the dining table with me. Jeremy says, "Let's hear it."

"Okay," I mutter and straighten up in my seat. Bonny watches with encouraging eyes, and I loosen up my shoulders. "Here it is."

We've been working for the past two days since Bonny arrived. We leave for Germany the day after tomorrow, and the final piece of our preparations is my speech for the main discussion.

And I think I've done it.

"Hello, good afternoon, I am Luna Amin of the Amin Pack in North America, but please, call me Brigette. It isn't a secret that I am new to the Union, to leadership—I haven't been a Luna for even three months... but it didn't take me long to see the pain we are in. And if you're thinking that you're not in pain, look to your side at the women I know you cherish so much. Because it's our mates, mothers, sisters, daughters—who are suffering.

"Over these near three months, I've heard stories. Stories of mothers who have struggled, friends who have considered unbearable things to protect themselves and their children, stories of Lunas who have died trying to keep their packs alive. And I am sure you have heard your fair share as well.

"It's no secret that this proposition calls to alter a structure that we have lived by for centuries, and I am aware that such changes have been rejected in the past. I am also aware that our packs are dying. Our Lunas are dying. And these deaths are ones we could have entirely avoided by honoring the Alpha blood of our daughters..."

I continue with the main argument—an expertly researched collection of statistics and facts regarding the preservation of our packs. The truth is blunt and unforgivingly harsh, but these leaders need to understand how their mistreatment of Alpha women is harming their people, their mates, and themselves.

I don't notice David's presence in the archway of the dining room until I reach the end of the fifteen-minute speech. I peer up for Jeremy and Bonny's reaction, and along with what seems to be their approval, I also receive a look of pride from my mate.

"I think it's great," Bonny chimes in, breaking the silence. "I'm sure the emotional appeal will spark their last sense of sympathy. Goddess knows they need to find it."

"I agree," David says, catching their attention. "I think it's perfect."

I clasp my hands together. "Well, good. Because we don't have the time to draft something new."

Bonny yawns and checks the time, saying, "It's getting late. Should we stop here for the night and pick up again tomorrow? We should discuss the logistics of the trip, no?"

"I can brief you both tomorrow," Jeremy says. "I have all the information regarding the accommodations and scheduling. It will be a crammed two days, but we'll manage."

"Tomorrow afternoon, correct?"

Jeremy nods at me. "Yes, you have an appointment in the morning, so we will resume in the afternoon."

We stand from our seats, each a bit stiff from sitting for so long.

"I'll walk you back to your guesthouse, Bonny," I offer.

She doesn't decline, and I tell David that I will be right back. We'll head upstairs to sleep when I do; my appointment is wonderfully, yet annoyingly early, and we're going together. I haven't gotten my period yet, and even though it's only three days late, we decided it's vital to know before I leave so David can get ready to accompany me if I'm pregnant.

My heart has maintained a constant thrum of nerves all day. My stomach has been in knots, and eating anything at all has been a challenge despite Helena's urging. I'm too nervous to function. It's a miracle that I had enough focus to finish the speech.