Chapter 38

My fingers pinch a piece of toast but my will to lift it from the plate to my mouth is wavering. I slouch at the counter and kick around my eggs with my fork instead, every so often biting and chewing single bits of scramble. Helena eyes me as she cleans up until she asks, "Did you get enough sleep, dear?"

"I think so."

"Is the bread too toasted? I can make-"

I take the toast and bite down, shaking my head, telling her it's just fine. She mumbles, "Well, alright," and resumes.

Truthfully, my appetite is nonexistent, but Jeremy told Helena that I'll be practicing with David, so she wants to make sure I have enough energy to do so. I don't think a hundred pieces of toast would give me the ability to pay attention today; my mind was restless last night, anxious about David and Ken and Nicodra and Aurora and my parents. But I tried my best to lay still so David could sleep. His continuous, routine breaths gave me some relief for the moments I spent focused on them.

"Good morning," Jeremy says as he enters the kitchen, much more lively than I. "Are you ready to head out? The Alpha is waiting."

He was gone when I woke up after a few hours of shuteye. I know seeing his father as he was the other night brought back old memories for him. Once we returned to the bedroom afterward, his mood had completely shifted, so rather than fooling around, I played his teddy bear. The same happened last night, but I had joined him in his melancholy.

Dealing with Ken was like peering into the future, and I don't think either of us was ready for it.

I slide off my seat and submit to my schedule. I walk with Jeremy to the training grounds-the sun hidden behind dense clouds of white fluff. Shadow patterns drift over the land, and I'm always happiest when the clouds cast their darkness, and it becomes so dark at times that you glance up to assure yourself that it isn't yet night.

We arrive just as David drags the blue mat into place. It seems to be something for my well-being and not his. I'm sure David doesn't need a foam barrier to keep his body from the unforgiving ground, but me-we must protect this body. I look down at the mat and remember exactly how it felt underneath me. Back then, having David so close was like dancing with the devil.

"I'll be over here if you need me," Jeremy says. "After, we'll review some emails you've received from a few Union members."

David waits with his arms crossed as I break away from Jeremy and come over. "Did you get enough sleep?" He asks.

"I think so."

"Do you think you can make it through the hour? I don't need you getting hurt again."

I look down at my ankle, unsure of how it's doing. My limp isn't so bad today; the walk over here felt fine, so maybe all it needed was to be left alone. "Yeah," I say, "I know, but I'm sure I can manage. Just don't go too hard on me. It's been a while-I have some rust to chip away."

"How about we refresh your memory then?"

I nod, squinting when the clouds move and the sun shines through. He speaks and demonstrates, and I try to listen. David comes behind me and I peer back, making him gently turn my head forward. He wraps his arms around me in a supposedly threatening way as he talks about getting free, but all I want to do is sink back into him. "Brigette," he says at my ear, "I said go ahead. Show me how you'd free yourself."

I glance back again and part my lips when I notice how close we are. My eyes, big and tempting, gaze into his, and he sighs. "How do I do that?" I ask.

"Were you paying attention?"

"Maybe you can say it again just this once?"

David adjusts his grip, clutching me harder. "You're going to quickly whip your head back and hit them in their face. And what if I try to lift you up?"