Chapter 7

After Helena-a nurturing, petite woman-makes me dinner, I return to the bedroom I woke up in to sort through my things. Jeremy took me around the pack for a good few hours and drained all my energy. However, I did get a good feel for the community, and he was right, this pack is very different from my home. I knew the second that he mentioned the training grounds that an escape here would be nearly impossible. David's bloodline must take their defenses seriously; when we visited those training, my stomach dropped. Some of those wolves are killing machines. They pounced and snapped with such fury that I almost believed they were truly fighting and not merely practicing.

I watched them spar and thought for a moment about David doing such things. If the guards are this deadly, I can't imagine what their Alpha must be like.

Because another escape attempt will be tricky, I'm going to have to utilize all my resources, which means playing the game as I've considered before. Our strange talk in the car did reveal some uncertainty within me, though. It's easy to plan; it's hard to act. I can't forget that. He won't let me.

When he's around, I can't think rationally.

As I transfer my clothes from the suitcases to the closet, I feel him enter the house. My heart starts to beat a little faster as I prepare my mind and body for him to come find me. I haven't seen him since this morning, but that's something I expected. He's an Alpha. Everyone needs him for something, and as a Luna, I'm supposed to understand that. Jeremy gave me a run-down on how Luna's act and react, and as I already know, none of the traits he mentioned sound like me.

A knock comes to the door and I call, "Come in."

I repeat my new mantra in my head; be nice, not defensive. The door pushes open and I take in a deep breath as David appears in the doorway. His brooding eyes immediately find me.

"Hi," I say and stand up from my suitcase open on the floor. "Helena told me to tell you that your dinner is in the fridge. She just left about half an hour ago."

He nods and scans the room. "I thought you would like your own space."

"I figured it was mine since my things were here, and, you know, I woke up here alone."

"You fell asleep in the car. I didn't want to wake you," David explains briefly.

"Right," I breathe, stuck on the image of him carrying me inside and tucking me in. "Well, I met Jeremy. He showed me around."

"I thought you would like someone to help you transition. I would do it myself but-"

"I get it. I grew up with a Beta for a father. It's not new to me. Jeremy will teach me everything just fine, and he's good company. His cheerfulness balances out my gloominess." What happened to being nice? "Anyway, it isn't so bad here," I add on.

David says, "I will be teaching you at least one thing. Like everyone else, you need to learn some self-defense."

"I'm sorry, what?"

"Especially in your position. You need to know how to protect yourself."

I shake my head. "I don't do the whole physical fighting thing. I'm better suited for verbal fighting."

"Verbal fighting won't save your life."

As I dramatically look around the room, I ask, "Is someone coming to kill me or something? Can't all those beefy guards protect me?"

David looks at me with a sternness on his face. "I'm not asking. I'm telling you."

"Yeah, I got that part," I mutter and sit on the edge of the bed. "Are you sure this isn't just an excuse to wrestle around with me? You know I don't like to be touched, but maybe if you ask nicely-"