Chapter 20

"You're going to be dressing for cold weather. I picked up some sophisticated basics but—"

"Are you saying my wardrobe lacks sophistication?" I ask Jeremy and turn from the closet with a pair of ripped jeans in my hands.

He says, "You can bring jeans, but ones with all of the fabric intact."

I switch the grungy denim for pants that better reflect the sort of look he's describing. We both move back and forth in my spare room from the closet to my suitcases. He insisted that I would need two suitcases—despite my disbelief—and as it's turning out, from the look of the dresses and outfits and pajamas and other bits, he's right, as usual.

Lindsey headed back home a few days ago, but I had little time to mourn her absence. The second she disappeared in the distance, Jeremy yanked me right back into routine. It's time to prepare for our confidential trip up north to the ancient meeting place of pack leadership, and I've hardly had a moment to breathe.

For three days David and I will be staying at this meeting place on neutral territory. Each day will consist of discussions and negotiations with a handful of other Alphas and Lunas. In Jeremy's eyes, this is my ultimate test. Everything he has taught me about etiquette and governing and my reputation will come into play, and at times I can't help but feel he is more nervous than I am. However, he is unable to prepare me for the topics of such meetings. The words spoken in those time-honored rooms are strictly kept between the leaders who speak them. The only person allowed a briefing when we get back is Tarlo.

"Jeremy," I ask, "is there a place here that, well, is kind of like a jail. Somewhere where people are held when they're in trouble?"

He glances up from his meticulous organizing. "I'm not sure. Why do you ask? Is this about that woman?"

"You know about her?"

"I know about most things," he says, standing up straight. "So that means I know you're not supposed to be encouraged to discuss her."

"Does David give you a list of things I'm not supposed to do?"

"A list, no."

I open my mouth, but the distant sound of the front door opening and closing from downstairs distracts me. Jeremy and I both listen as footsteps carry up the staircase. I peek into the hallway and see David coming my way. When he comes back during the day it's typically for food or something he's forgotten in the office. The second he sees me, a certain look takes over his face, one that says, We need to talk.

"Did something happen?" I ask.

I back up into the bedroom and he comes inside. Jeremy places down the shirt he is folding, and says, "Hello, Alpha."

David nods to him. "Will you give Brigette and me a moment?"

Jeremy discretely leaves the room. My curiosity reaches its peak, and I ask, "What is it?"

"It's about the trip," he says. "I was reconsidering your accompanying me."

"What? Where is this coming from? We're leaving the day after tomorrow," I ask while dramatically looking around at the clothes and necessities Jeremy and I have been sorting through. "Jeremy's been preparing me."

"I know. This is last minute, but I want you to think about it. There will be another meeting in a few months."

"Well, are you going to at least tell me why you don't want me to go all of the sudden?"

David insists, "I want you to be there with me; I just don't know how I feel about you being around the other leaderships."

"Did someone say something?"