Chapter 51

The very moment my eyes open, I remain completely still. My fingers twitch, my throat swallows, and I soon realize that nothing happened last night. For some reason, it feels too good to be true.

In just over four hours, I'll be giving my speech, and no one has tried to sabotage me. No one broke into my room and knocked me over the head and dropped me in the middle of the woods. No one drugged me and tied me up in the basement of the hotel. And thank the goddess above that I'm not dead.

"Maybe Baby?" I call softly then glance under the sheets in search of blood, but there's none of that either.

My unease sits on my shoulder as I work through my morning routine, kicking its feet into my chest and grabbing at my hair. I stand in front of the mirror and brush my teeth, but my eyes drift to the empty space beside me—David's space. He's so handsome when he brushes his teeth. The weeping bond weighing inside of me casts images of his pretty smile. He loves me, and remembering that can get me over the highest mountain, through the hottest desert, and across the coldest sea. My love has made me stronger than ever, and all I want is to make him proud.

Jeremy doesn't knock on my door, so once I'm dressed and polished, I leave into the hall and knock on his.

My eyes subtly trail a passing Alpha. By He nods and says, "Good morning," rather than grabbing me and covering my mouth with a cloth as my paranoid thoughts assume.

"Good morning," I chime back.

I knock on Jeremy's door again, yet he fails to open up. Maybe he's running behind schedule, obviously thrown off by being here, and I contemplate once more about this supposed argument he had with Alpha Dreier. My paranoia peaks then, and I turn to the door across the hall—Lyde's room. I knock and knock until she opens up. She's dressed, but her hair sits on top of her head in a floppy bun of loose pieces. "Yes, Brigette?" She asks, massaging her scalp.

"Jeremy won't open the door."

She looks behind me to his closed door. "Maybe he's in the shower."

"He would be ready by now. He would have been up two hours ago, but he never came to check on me."

"Then maybe he's gone downstairs for coffee."

I wring my hands together and conclude, "I have to get in the room. I have to make sure he's okay."

Before Lyde can convince me of how unreasonable I'm being, I head off down the hallway in search of a housekeeper. She sticks to her duties and follows after me. There's a cart of towels and cleaning supplies parked against the wall toward the end of the hall. The housekeeper will have a key to open his room.

The door behind the cart is propped open, so I peer inside and call, "Hello? Excuse me?"

A honey-haired girl around my age pops her head out of the bathroom. "Oh," she hurries out, "how may I help you? Is there something you need?"

"Yes. I have to get into a room. My advisor is not opening his door and I'm worried about him."

"He is in the room?" She asks in a thick German accent.

"I don't know, but this is very unlike him. I just want to make sure nothing's happened to him." The girl looks to Lyde, so I say, "Please, I'm a luna. I'm Luna Amin. I have to give a speech today and I need my advisor."

The girl thinks for a moment, probably contemplating the consequences of letting me in a room that isn't mine. I could be lying. She knows the tricks. But thankfully she says, "Okay."

The housekeeper uses her universal key to unlock Jeremy's room. The second the little light flashes green, I say, "Thank you so much," and enter. Lyde holds the door as I venture inside, but there isn't much to investigate.