Chapter 32

I can't sleep without him, not with Aurora's request stuck in my head like a song on repeat. I do as she asks, I think it over without the choice not to. I imagine the look of Nicodra's face without any life behind it.

There would have to be a plan-a way to keep David out of it. Enough in his drink to make him sick. Aurora would excuse the both of them because of it and walk back to their guest house under the cover of night. She'd forget something, maybe a bag, and I'd run it out to her while David remained safe inside. We would do it then, I think. He'd be too sick, too weak by then, to fight back.

The second day without David, I spend in bed.

Jeremy comes to see me and apologizes for his absence the day before. I tell him I'm sick. He knows it's an illness caused by my empty bed, but he leaves me be. Helena-regardless of my giving her the day off-stays to deliver my three meals to the bedroom.

At midnight on my third night alone, I shower in his bathroom. I smell the products and rub them into my hair and body. I stay in the glass box for far too long with my eyes closed, pretending my hands are his, convincing myself that the sturdiness of the wall is his chest. But when my eyes open, and he isn't there, my heart aches.

I think I'm dreaming that night when sounds alert me from downstairs. I reach for my phone and see missed calls and messages that went unnoticed two hours ago during my shower. My eyes scan them over in a flash before I'm scrambling out from beneath the blanket. David's clothes catch wind as I dash out of the room and down the hall. His scent is fresh in the air, and the sounds flow out from the kitchen. I seemingly slide down the steps and run with all my might in that direction.

He's already looking at the archway when I appear in it, breathing heavily with eyes of gratitude. I bite my lip and crash myself into him, bringing my arms around his solid body and burying my face in his shoulder. He laughs and says, "I thought you were asleep. What are you doing up?"

I want to cry about my sleeplessness, about Aurora, about my missing him terribly. He strokes my crinkled hair and asks, "Is this mine?" As he grabs the fabric of his shirt.

I move away only to hold his face in my hands. My heart can finally settle, and my mind can go quiet.

"Promise me you won't leave ever again," I say. "Everything-it falls apart without you."

What I really meant was I fall apart without you.

"Tarlo told me everything went just fine."

I shake my head. "No. It didn't. I was not fine."

He pulls me against him like he does, and I pray I don't wake in our bed. This can't be a dream; he's still alive.

"What happened?" He asks, rubbing my back. "Weren't you busy with Jeremy?"

"You were gone for too long," I whisper, keeping the whole truth in a locked place in my mind until I decide whether or not to let it out. I relax when the top of his nose presses into my scalp and his lips kiss my hair.

"You smell like me."

"Don't think I've gone insane," I murmur. "It's the bond. It made me do all these things against my will."

He continues to stroke my hair as he asks, "What are you doing up, then? It's three in the morning."

"I couldn't sleep. I heard you."

"I was going to grab something to eat then head up. You go on to bed and I'll be right there."

"I'll stay with you," I say and move away to open the fridge. "Helena made all of this food. Roasted potatoes, salmon, carrots and broccoli, there's almost a whole roast chicken too. There are blueberry muffins in that container over there, and chocolate cake that she made to cheer me up, but I cried a little on it so I don't know if you want that. How about some of everything?"