Chapter 39

David enters the spare bedroom just as I leave the bathroom dressed for bed. The look on his face is immediate-he's regretful, sorry. I think I might be too for what I'm ready to say. He explains without need for my prompting, saying, "There was a situation with a guard. There was a rogue wolf in the area and it attacked him which is something we haven't had happen in a long time. We only see rogue wolves maybe once a month, and this happened out of nowhere. We had to track down the wolf, and I thought maybe I could still make it back in time, but obviously I've let you down."

With my plans at the front of my mind, unaffected by his reasons, I wait until he speaks again.

"What are you doing in here?" He asks.

"I'm getting ready for bed. I'm-I thought I would sleep here tonight."

David says, "No. Come on, you're sleeping in our bed."

"I'm not trying to punish you," I tell him. "I just need some time to think about things. I just want to sleep on it and see how I feel in the morning. So please, I'll stay here and you sleep in your room."

"Our room."

I watch as he stalks closer, nearing until I'm backed against the wall. Obviously, this was not a part of my plan, but there is always room for the unpredictable. My lips form an unimpressed line but it falters when his arms raise on either side of me. He lowers his head to bring his lips to my ear. "Come to bed, Brigette. You know this is the last thing I wanted to happen," he says then looks into my eyes. I turn my head away.

"You said we would be together," I mumble. "All I wanted was to be alone with you away from all of the commotion."

"I did. I had every intention of keeping my word, but some things are out of my control."

"Some things are." I turn back and place my hand on his chest, wanting to withstand the bond from luring me in. "But there has to be a balance. I don't want to feel this way again because it hurts, and I refuse to believe that it makes me a bad Luna."

"Then I'll figure something out, okay? It won't happen again."

"Okay. I hope you do. I'll see you in the morning."

David runs his tongue over his teeth and keeps me caged. "You're not staying in here."

"I am. For the night."

"You belong in our bed."

Before I can answer, my words are lost when he lowers to my neck and kisses me there. My body lifts off the wall and obeys his touch, eager for more, despite my head urging me to stay strong. "David," I breathe as one of his hands drop from the wall and move between my legs. He continues to kiss my neck and trail up to my ear.

"Come to bed," he says, and the deep-rooted want stirs within me. His hand moves torturously, back and forth, and I feel myself losing focus.

"Why can't you just... leave me alone," I mutter.

"I'll have someone else deal with it next time," he says and slides his hand into my shorts, into my underwear. "I promise you I will never be late again."

"Y-You..." He pushes his finger into me and I let out a moan of relief, finally getting a taste of what I've been craving. My hands grab for stability on his shoulders and claw at his shirt when he moves inside of me, soon adding another finger and getting a better hold.