Chapter 24

"What are you suggesting?" An Alpha projects from the back. I glance over my shoulder and see the man standing with his hands on the desk—his eyes aimed directly at Nicodra.

"I am suggesting we slow our conformity into human society before we lose our sense of self," Nicodra dramatizes. "Because it is quite obvious that we are not humans. Our ancestors embraced the heritage we are so quickly sacrificing—I think it's best we start doing the same."

David speaks, surprising me. "There are many factors that are at risk of being overlooked. Packs are larger, and our people desire modern luxuries that our ancestors were unable to utilize. Structuring pack land as humans structure their towns has proven to be beneficial for everyone. There is no need to spend the majority of our time shifted and hunting, not to mention the risk it imposes on the exposure of our kind."

"I agree. Domestication has done us well. Might I suggest we revisit smaller, less invasive practices? I am defending culture, after all, Alpha Amin. There is a plethora of routines and activities that will bring us closer to our defining fundamentals."

David sighs. "If the room agrees, I don't see why not."

"The topic will be prompted again tomorrow morning," Nicodra announces, satisfied. "Before other issues are introduced, I will account for our new participants."

Nicodra rambles on, and I am no longer interested in suffering through the sound of my name leaving his mouth. I turn my body slightly to David and look down at our laps, ignoring my own announcement and instead murmuring, "Are things going to change?"

"Nothing significant," he tells me, sounding bothered. "If anything the man will get an annual harvest moon worship."

"Why would he care about that?"

"He doesn't. He wants more," David reveals and smiles when he hears my name. I quickly face the room and do so myself, even throwing in a sweet little wave. He continues once Nicodra moves on. "His ideas got a bit out of hand during his visit. He thought I would agree with him after hearing my spiel about the importance of preserving our history, but the man could care less about culture, heritage—Nicodra simply realized that Alphas had more control in the past."

"He wants more control?"

We share a subtle look of aggravation. "He can try, but he won't get very far. We'll let him talk all he wants in the meantime, but I assure you, nothing will change."

Our whispering ends once Nicodra's leaves the podium and others have their time in the spotlight. My attention strays from their speeches and for a while lands on Nicodra's itch for power, but it isn't long until I find myself waiting impatiently to be alone with David again. My feet flex and my toes curl in my shoes as my eyes wash over his hands. I still feel his fingers dancing along the soft skin of my back, toying with my shirt.

I shift in my seat and clear my throat. "What's after this?" I ask, again leaning into him.

David's attention clicks away from the speaker. He is actually listening as a good leader should. "There will be refreshments and lunch in one of the common rooms. Usually, we casually discuss what was said during the meetings, greet newcomers, say hello to friends."

I nod and let him get back to his listening.

Jeremy told me what to expect—lunches, dinners, speeches, discussions, decisions—but I like asking David for specifics. I like needing him and having him know this.

The group slowly transfers from the meeting room to the common room across the grand hallway once the welcome meeting concludes. The common room has tall, slim tables to rest drinks or an elbow on and the brightness of daylight that was somewhat withheld from the previous space. David hands me a delicate glass but does not take one for himself. I try the drink by giving it a small sip and determine that whatever it is, is tolerable enough. I thought maybe these big bad Alphas drank things much harsher and convinced their Lunas they wouldn't like it—a man's drink.