Chapter 29

David speaks to me about our return trip home as we wait for the meeting to begin. We sit in the same seats as we have the past two days: bottom row, nearly center, important-feeling. He rambles to distract me and calm my leg as it relentlessly bobs, but no matter how hard I try to pay attention to him, his details of our travels do not compete with the looming results of my last-minute plan.

Alpha Leloup-Nicodra's replacement-takes center stage at the podium. He nods to the crowd before beginning. "First, I will announce the surveyed results of the first issue: Luna Amin's and Luna Godoy's call for females of Alpha blood to be eligible for the Alpha position.

I clench my fists. This is it-whether or not Nicodra's crushing grip came to good use.

"At this time, we are willing to consider females of Alpha blood for the Alpha position if there are no eligible males. However, because this issue concerns not only our present members but all packs and their leaderships in our union, we will be sending information to all pack leaderships of the union in hope of their opinions on the matter. As of now, this is not law and is at risk of being altered in the future. Luna Amin and Luna Godoy," Alpha LeLoup says, looking at me, "we are allowing the international campaigning for your cause. If the general opinion from the majority of our leaderships are in favor, your proposition will be made law in this union."

I flood my lungs with air and just as quickly, let it out. David takes my hand in both of his, leans over, and says, "Congratulations."

I smile at him then find Bonny's face behind me, just as bright and hopeful as my own. Our process was swift and improvised, but we had managed, and neither of us spoke a word about Aurora. This isn't a promise, but a real possibility, and if all fares well with the Alphas and Lunas beyond this room, then a promise could be made.

I receive many congratulations once the other results are spoken and the meeting is over as leaders drain from the room and fill others. With acceptance to Alpha and Luna Leloup, David and I are the last to leave; however, I thank Luna Leloup for their support on our way out.

David's hand weaves under my arm and comes around my waist. He guides me to the side when I attempt to join the dawdling group in the main hall, and I peer up, both curious and confused. We drift under the staircase and being an aimless trek down the hallway underneath-something unwelcoming and dim. Here, he lets go.

"Where are we going?" I ask, thinking maybe we're running off to a forgotten alcove to kiss against the stone wall. My heart heaves forward, and I shudder with excitement at the thought.

"It's time to cover the consequences of what you've done," he reveals, facing me.

My feet tangle as I come to a rough stop. "What?"

"Did you get what you wanted in the short run? Yes. But do I think it was the best way to go about things? No. I told you the peace between our packs was fragile, which is why I am sure it is at risk of ruin if it is not already obsolete. We could continue to live as we do-apart-just without the safety net of the agreement. But, there is the risk that Alpha Nicodra is upset and will seek justice for his defamation," David explains.

I blink and move away, bombarded. "B-But he attacked me."

"Whether he is in the right or wrong-it does not matter, Brigette. I told you; these games rarely conclude the way we hope. You played a dirty game, and now there is a mess to clean up."

I cross my arms and hold in my huff. All of this seems so sudden; I was not briefed on these consequences despite David's awareness of them this whole time. It's like he let me screw up just to teach me a lesson. "You should have warned me."