Chapter 42

I wait in the sitting room, prettied, dressed up, and alone. I sit on the couch looking over the backrest like a widow longing for her husband to return home, to come marching up the front yard, through the weeds and untamed growth of her garden. I feel timeless, like the young woman captured in the black and white photograph back home that my father says is his great aunt. She sits on the mantle with the other members of our family history and surveys from her post. But, most of all, I feel helpless. I can fight for the Lunas—for their daughters and their Alpha blood—but I can't save them from their bonds.

I can't save Aurora. She is tied to her mate as intricately as I am to my own. It is a deal that flows both ways.

David's words are instilled in my mind, in Aurora's mind: No Alpha will let his mate be taken from him.

I only hope she doesn't resent me the moment I refuse her murderous plans. Sometime between their arrival and our gathering at the table, I need to make my decision crystal clear to Aurora before she drops something in his drink or serves a tainted bottle—ideas I gave her myself.

"You look beautiful."

I turn my head and watch David come into the room, ready himself. "You always do," he adds and I look away.

"Stop it," I mumble, not so serious.

He crouches in front of me, his elbows on his knees. "How come you accept everyone's compliments but mine?"

"I accept them. Most of the time."

"Right," he says sarcastically.

His knuckles brush down my exposed arm, and I say, "I don't feel good about this."

"I know. I wish the circumstances were different, but we have to look out for ourselves."

"And if the circumstances change? Can we do something?"

David sighs. "I promise you I will."

A knock on the front door a wall away makes me flinch. I sit up straight and hurriedly tell him, "Talk to Nicodra. Get me time with her."

He nods and together we answer the door. I stay behind him, partially over his shoulder as if some kind of Hell will unleash on us once the door swings open.

Aurora's face is the first thing I see, bound up and threatening to rip at the seams. Her mate smiles from behind her then moves past when she doesn't react fast enough. "Good evening, Alpha Amin... Brigette," Nicodra greets.

"Please, come in," David says and we step out of the way. David moves in on Nicodra, and I hang back as Aurora eases through the doorway. David ropes Nicodra in conversation, asking about the journey, sharing his hopes for a resolution. He guides him down the hallway, heading straight into the dining room. My heart hammers as I shut the door behind Aurora and stand in her way.

"We're not doing it," I whisper, painfully cautious. "We can't. Okay?"

Her eyes shift. "You told your mate, didn't you?"

"I had to, and he agreed with me when I told him I couldn't do it. Please, Aurora, tell me; did you tamper with anything?"