Chapter 78.

"O Death, Someone would pray

Could you wait to call me another day?

The children pray, the preacher preach

The time and mercy is out of your reach"

Song: O Death - Shakey Graves

****

A/N: So sorry this is late. Some personal things come up and this turned out longer than i thought it was going to be, but we're here now. I've missed you.

****

Abby's P.O.V:

6 Hours prior. 11pm. Hospital.

Beeping.

That's all I've heard for hours.

Sitting next to Steve's hospital bed with Rob, and the only sounds were the beeps from the machines around us or quiet chattering from the nurses.

I kept checking my phone, waiting to hear from Harry and I know he said he probably wouldn't be finished until the early hours of the morning.

But I wish I knew what was happening.

I wish I knew he was safe.

The anxiety of not knowing is eating me alive.

He needs to come back.

He needs to bring my keychain back to me.

He promised.

There's no way I'm leaving. I packed the bag he asked me to, simply so he wouldn't worry but I refused to run away.

This is my home.

These people are my family.

Rob has been trying his best to lighten my mood, or at least distract me. It's also obvious he's been using his psychology tricks.

He's also hung around me like a bad smell, which I'm guessing was under Harry's orders.

The couple of times I went to the bathroom, Rob came in but looked so uncomfortable. He would face the wall, while I went into one of the stalls and plug his ears while he hummed to himself.

The hours have felt like they've dragged on for decades, and my heart didn't hurt any less each time I would watch Steve.

It seemed kinda strange, all of this chaos is going on around him and he has no idea.

For him, time has stopped.

I wasn't sure if it helped, but I would talk to Steve, not about anything in particular, but I'd hold his hand and have one sided conversations with him.

Mentioning things like the night I was in the car with him, and talked to him about my nightmares, also how much I'd been struggling. Then he had me scream about how fucked up it was, but my dumb ass ofcourse made a fool of myself when I hung out of the car window and screamed about how fucked up I was.

It made my eyes water as I spoke to him about it.

Things were hard back then, but they felt so much fucking easier than things now.

Steve really is like the glue that keeps us all together. His quiet but stoic demeanor balanced out Jimmy and Harry so much.

Steve is younger than my father, and I may not have seen my father in about seven years... but Steve really did become a father figure to me.