Chapter 39.

"I am surrendering to the gravity and the unknown
Catch me, heal me, lift me back up to the sun
I choose to live."

***

Harry hasn’t shot a priest.

So far so good.I managed to get him to come inside Robs house, but the cold passive glare on his face didn’t leave along with his protective hold on my hand.

You could feel the mistrust directed at the seemingly harmless man radiating from him.

I know it’s not meant to be funny, but although Harry didn’t sit in the corner drinking tea, he did in fact sit there in the living room scowling at Rob when he took me to his office for my appointment.

He also made a point of taking his gun out and sitting on the coffee table as a silent warning.

To which Rob only made the comment,”I always wanted a centrepiece for that table. A little on the homicidal side but it really livens up the place, don’t you think?”

Harry didn’t reply. Only glared.

I nearly bit my tongue off trying not to laugh.

I honestly liked Rob, even if Harry wasn’t his biggest fan yet. In the short time that I’d met him I didn’t get anything but a warm accepting feeling from him, no ill intent at all.

I’ll admit… the whole priest thing has thrown me, but, I like to keep an open mind and if this man can help I’ll be more than happy to give him a chance. I don’t think Steve would have sent me to him if he didn’t trust him.

The appointment today was mostly just Rob getting to know about me and the situation I’m in, and honestly trying to sit there and explain everything that has happened felt exhausting. I almost didn’t know where to start.

So, I just started from the beginning.

I explained how I met Harry and just went from there.

Rob was so easy to talk to, he sat in a chair facing me in front of his desk while I sat on the small couch and even his office had a warm comforting atmosphere like the rest of his home.

It was filled with trinkets and books, and every piece of furniture looked loved not worn. It looked lived in.

Rob would occasionally ask me questions as I spoke, sometimes to clarify something or just to make sure he was understanding it correctly.

Mostly he just listened.

I spoke about what lead up to the night Andy hit me, what had happened with my mother, who David was and what happened with Maurine.

I didn’t go into detail about Harry’s past or childhood, just that he’d been abused. It’s not my story to tell. So I only mentioned what was necessary to understand everything that has lead to this point.

I expected more of a reaction when I mentioned the tapes and when I found out what was on them but Rob simply listened intently, nodding.

I found that strange.

So, I asked Rob why he didn’t seem surprised or bothered by what I had told him, because it sure as hell had bothered me.

“I’m aware of what Steve and Jimmy do, I’ve known for a few years. So what Harry did doesn’t come as a surprise to me… Although, I will give it to the lad - he was certainly more creative with it. I suppose if you’re going to be a murderer, have some style with it, right?”

The dark humour and how relaxed he seemed about the whole thing threw me off, and when Rob noticed my expression he gestured with his hand for me to continue the story and added.